xi. relapse

chapter 11 - relapse

Not long after Gustus had confessed to almost poisoning the Commander and falsely accusing Skaikru, the warrior found himself tied up to the tree just as Lexa demanded. Even though all occurrences involving the torture circle were never a fun ritual, what impressed many was the fact that Gustus actually accepted the oncoming pain and refrained from crying out in agony. In simpler words, I guess you could say that he basically "took it like a champ".

But that didn't mean that the man wasn't in pain, because of course he was. Just the sight alone was gruesome, as everyone watched members of Trikru plunge their blades into his flesh and rip him apart at the seams. One could possibly compare it to being cut open during surgery but without the helpful anesthetics. The only difference is that this situation is no doubt more painful. During surgery, the surgeon would only use a small bladed scalpel to slice open the few top layers of skin. However, in Gustus' situation, he was literally being torn apart mercilessly by large, rustic blades and swords, that were going so deep that some even collided with his bones.

"This would have been Finn..." Raven uttered in realization, as she watched the scene in both disgust and disbelief.

Lexa was next in line, however, her turn was to be the final blow. The last cut, that would officially end the warrior's life. She slowly approached the man whom she had once put her trust in, her mask never faltering no matter what emotions she could have possibly been feeling at that very moment.

"Ste yuj." [Stay strong.] Gustus choked out, as he looked the young girl directly in the eyes. He knew that he messed up greatly, and he understood what had to happen. He just wanted to make sure that Lexa wouldn't hesitate to finish off the tradition because of the fact that he was the one tied to the tree.

But what Gustus might have forgotten, was the fact that Lexa already had a manifesto made up in her mind that she would never again allow love, heartbreak, or any other emotion to make her weak. So, without further adieu, the Commander unsheathed her sword, as everyone else surrounding the scene observed her closely.

She then raised the sword in her right hand and pointed it towards Gustus, while crossing it over her left forearm, which allowed her to remain steady and aided in her aim.

"Yu gonplei ste odon." She recited, before immediately plunging the long and sharp blade directly into his chest, killing him almost instantly.

_______

Later on that night, Bellamy, Octavia, Dakota and her brother, were all gathered around the fire as they pondered over the day's events.

"How did you know it was Gustus?" Lincoln asked, looking over to Bellamy.

"He'd do anything for her. To protect her." The boy shrugged. "It just made sense."

"Look at the thanks he got." Octavia mumbled, as she toyed with a stick in the fire.