Stag in the Fog

Bird song eerily filled the damp air. A blanket of fog had been laid over the area, as far as you could see. The night sky loomed above her and the cold space around her gave her chills.

        "I'll be back in a bit!" she called, and without waiting for an answer she shut the door. Cautiously she stepped down the driveway. A car swept by her, it's lights piercing the clouded air. She unsuspectingly made her way down to the graveyard. Lucky, it was only just across the street. 

        Making sure not to step on any graves, she weaved her way around the tombstones. Paying her respects to the military officers as she went by. Occasionally, a horse would be heard in the distance. It never scared her, because she knew the neighbors had them. She could now also hear the river, as it bubbled under and past the bridge. Thinking nothing of them, she sauntered along. 

        The farther she went, the closer the sounds became. By now, she wasn't stopping to see the graves, just walking along the path. Her worries worsened when the neighs started to become distorted, and nearly sounded like shrieking. The river became a low constant hum that seemed to fill her ears and drown out her thoughts. At one point, sirens could be heard, but she wasn't sure. 

        Despite her fear she kept walking. "The house is right over there and I have my knife, I'll be fine," she hissed at herself. The hum in her ears was so loud now, she didn't feel like she was in her own body anymore. Like her skin was being torn from it's spot and wiped cleanly off. Suddenly she went weak, and crumbled to the floor. She wanted to scream but couldn't, it felt as if she was being puppeted. 

        She merely blinked, and now was able to look up. At the end of the graveyard stood a stag, that had white eyes and made the fog turn bright silver around him. His antlers stood tall upon his head, and he glowed with the off-white tint of his coat.

        He lowered his head, and walked towards her. The closer his light got, the more she could move, and the quieter the sounds became. With as much strength as she could muster, she stumbled backwards on her hands and feet as he came closer. She wasn't as fast as him, and he stood over her within seconds. They looked at eachother, the stag with a blank stare, and her with a terrified gaze. Despite the control in herself she could not think anything. She could only move her limbs.

        The stag smoothly laid onto the ground beside her, and curled himself around her frigid being. He was freezing cold, but somehow she didn't feel anything on her skin anymore. He looked at her one more time, and before she could move, slowly touched his nose to her head. Within a moment, both of them began to morph into mere wisps of glowing silver light that blended into the air and vanished in no time.

        Before you knew it, the fog lifted in seconds, and the graveyard was left in empty darkness, with nothing but the rising sun and morning bird song.