Chapter 4.

4一 and he finally met that dancer

༻𖥸༺

ATHAN WAS EIGHT when his father brought him to meet a dancer from Siodonna, a woman named Diana, the mother of the future female lead, if he recalled correctly. With one hand holding onto his father's, the other wrapped around his familiar's fluffy form, narrowed jeweled blue eyes scrutinized the woman before them as they stood in the gardens of the Ruby Palace.

She was pretty, Athan admitted, but she couldn't hold a candle to his mother, the former empress. (He was biased, ok? After growing up in the inner palace where his father surrounded himself with portraits of Lucille, is was kind of impossible to place this young woman on a pedestal above his own mother.)

So, placing down his pet and letting go of his father's hand, Athan did as always.

Right hand over his heart, the other placed on the small of his back with the palm facing outwards, upper body bowed slightly and left foot barely lifted (his tutors should be proud of him一 he used this greeting so often that he perfected it), Athanasius introduced himself, "My name is Athanasius de Alger Obelia, Crown Heir to the Obelia Empire. I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Lady Diana."

Bowing one more time to show his respect, Athan turned around, picked up Biyakko, and ran away from the scene. And from the corner of his eye, he could see Lady Diana's surprised yet enamoured look, but on the other hand, his father...

Well...

Claude was visibly surprised一 if not quite stupefied, because Athan only used that greeting with people he didn't particularly feel like they were important. With people he didn't want to place his trust in.

His father had been positive that he would take a liking to the woman, Athan almost felt bad as he left the palace, Kassian hot at his heels.

Make no mistake, he held no ill qualms towards her. She was a kind and lovely woman, but he would prefer to stay away from the heartache that getting close to a woman who was on a timer for death would bring. His father had already fallen for her charm, so the best that he could do was minimize the damage that was to come. That is, her death.

(Stop it with the ominous thoughts.)

────────────────────────

DIANA FELL IN LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT with the prince during his introduction. From the poised and elegant bow, to the seemingly shy escape he did with his pet, the boy was adorable from head to toe, like a little angel gifted from the gods. Looking at her lover to congratulate him on his well raised son (because she knew he raised him all by himself), but the way his eyebrows were furrowed and his lips turned down, he didn't seem to be quite as pleased as her.