Chapter 5.

5一 and he felt nothing when she died

༻𖥸༺

ATHAN WOULDN'T CONSIDER himself cruel or cold-hearted一 emotionally detached, probably, but not heartless. He knew long before he met her that Lady Diana was going to die. He had to thank Ju-Hee for that, but he knew nonetheless.

So he avoided her like the plague.

(Not to say she wasn't nice一 she was, but that really didn't change matters.)

In the slight instance that he would bump into her, he would politely greet her, ask how her day was going and then go on his merry way. He had no need for unnecessary interactions with a woman that would turn his beloved father into a walking ice block.

All she did was increase his workload.

(He wasn't very happy about that.)

Athan's goal in his second life was to make his father happy. But he couldn't do that if the woman that he had grown to love was being a pain in the backside. The prince absentmindedly chuckled to himself, fingers combing through Biyakko's fur and eyes lost in the scenery outside.

The sun was going down.

And that woman was dying.

Well, she was dying because she was giving birth to a child with too much mana for her body to handle. Because Diana was of foreign descent and a commoner at that, her body was unfit to carry the Obelia bloodline. She was simply weak to the effects that magic took on her person.

He remembered having to explain that to Diana's maid, a woman named Lillian York.

Now that, was an amusing memory. A barely nine year old boy giving 一what he assumed was一 a woman in her twenties a lecture on magic and their effects on the human body.

("Your Highness the Prince, please answer this lowly maid her question."

Athan tilted his head, curiosity overflowing at the sight of the woman that sought him out. "Speak."

"... Why do you dislike Lady Diana?"

Really? A bland look crossed the former law student's face at her stupid question. 'Damn, I knew she was loyal to her to the point of risking herself in front of father, but really?'

"Pffft一" He tried to contain his giggles. Keyword一 tried.

Lillian had a look of indignation on her face at being laughed at by a child whose age hasn't even reached the double digits, but her retort died on her tongue when those wide jeweled blue eyes landed back on her and narrowed.

"Make no mistake, Miss Lillian York." The Prince tilted his head, a condescending line taking hold of his soft features. "I do not hate her. To be honest, I care little should she live or die in this palace."