Prologue

After one more futile hit to the closed door, we stepped back with throbbing shoulders. Our vexation was in such a level that it was indescribable. Panic and tension was eating us alive.

Seething, I pounded my fist to the door, as if it would make any effect and ran my fingers through my hair. Jay tried to push the door and Aiden kicked it, but no! No use!

"Argh!" Aiden groaned. "To hell with this door!"

"Aiden, calm down!" Jay tried but his sweating face said otherwise.

"How can I?! We don't even know if she's alive or dead in there?!" He snapped, quietening Jay.

I hit my shoulders once again but the result was same. I threw my arms up when suddenly something caught my eye.

I crouched down to take a closer look, it was a green colored card with the logo of the hotel we're in. Realization dawned on me.

"Guys! This opens with a keycard!" I concluded.

The groans from both became louder. Aiden looked like he'll rain fire any minute.

"But I think I can take it out!" I added quickly.

"Do it fast, Levi!!" Jay urged.

I tried to pick it up by my nails but it didn't work. I remembered having my scale in my pocket and used that to pull it out. With trembling hands, I inserted it in the small gap between the door and the floor. Each passing second was important, for us as well as for her inside. I closed my eyes, sending a silent prayer and pulled the scale.

The keycard slid out of the room as if the floor was made of butter. I hastily grabbed it and pushed it in the slot. Even though it took only a mere second, it felt ages to hear that ping sound. Aiden pushed the door open even before my hand could touch the knob.

"No! Rashmi!"

We stood by his side. The room was a total mess. Vases were broken and so were the frames. Flowers scattered everywhere alongside large shards of glass. The bed was upside down, sheets thrown away. Books were scattered. In a nutshell, the room had the best definition of disheveled. But it wasn't our concern now.

"Aiden!" I heard a hoarse whisper and immediately rushed to the source of the sound.

"Guys!" I stopped, gazing in horror.

Aiden staggered behind me and gasped when he saw what was there.

It was Rashmi. Barely alive!

"No!" He cried out and knelt beside her, taking her head on his lap.

She had bruises covering every inch of her skin. He lower lip was busted and blood was flowing out. Not enough, there also was an authentic silver dagger thrust deep into her stomach. Looking at the room, it felt like she fought her defense, but failed. Her partly closed eyes fluttered open at his voice.

"Rashmi! Rashmi! Can you hear me?"

"Aiden!" She whispered.

"Who did this to you?!"

She shook her head and held his hand.

"Please...... statue......!" She whispered and blacked out.

I felt Jay perk up and looked at him. Our identical eyes met.

"I know!"