what is skam? info!

hi there!! this is just a little bit about the book before i get started on writing. i'll tell you a little about me and what this series is about!

okay first. hi!! i'm abagail, but you guys can call me abbey, abbey cate, abbs, abba, AC, gail, bee, or any other nickname you can think of. i go by seven different names to different people, it's all fun. i'm a sophomore in highschool in the USA, and i'm a huge fan of the skam series and theatre!

i decided to write this because i realized i loved the skam tv show, and dear evan hansen/be more chill crossovers, so i thought about a skam au!

questions you might have about this:

what is skam?

so skam started out as this underrated norweigion teen drama, set in olso, norway. the way content for it was released was by clips in real time. for example, if a clip takes place on wednesday, 11:23am, then that clip would be released at the exact time. it's a pretty cool way to keep the show realistic and keep the viewers on their toes. the show is known for being super realistic because of the casting, release, social media (all the characters have their own instagram/facebook accounts, which they post on regularly. it's really cool because you can be scrolling through your friends and then you'll see a new post from isak valtersen! it's so cute!), costumes and set (the characters don't wear super expensive clothes, but rather their own!), setting, and topics dealt with in the show.

the show includes (trigger warning!) lots of drinking, smoking, sexual situations (including an assault), blackmail, relationships, mental health awareness, lgbtq+, homophobia, sexism, religion, racism, and so much more things that teens face in their daily lives. and the show handles each situation so well and so realistically. season two, three, and four got a lot of popularity because of noora, isak, and sana's storylines, and how the show fixed everything in a realistic way, while also keeping it a good show.

what does skam france, druck, and wtfock mean?

alright! so skam has this bit about "what if there's an (characters names. i'm not spoiling who :) ) laying here in a different universe..." or something along the lines of that in s3. and that's what the producers did. they made remakes of the same show in different countries, different characters, different languages, and it got super popular. the remakes have the same general storyline, but there's always a little bit of variety so it doesn't feel like you're watching the same thing over and over (you basically are, but they're so good, and so worth it!).

(spoiler alert!)

for example, season three of skam always includes a 'breakup' between two characters, isak and even (its pronounced 'evan'. it's the norweigion form!). in the original, isak makes a comment about how he "doesn't need crazy people in his life" (talking about his mother and his relationship with her). even, a bipolar boy, takes offense to this and later texts him that the two of them need space. this happens in the french version, and another version (i think italian? i can't remember right now), but in the belguim one, wtfock, the producers add in a plot point where the two boys (named sander and robbe in this remake) are attacked outside of a bar by homophobes, and sander tells robbe not to report it, and keep it quiet so sander's girlfriend doesn't hear about it. the german version has a whole different storyline than the usual. the original s3 included even having a bipolar episode and having to go to a hospital for a while, but the german remake deals with david (the even) being outed as transgender and going missing. it's a cool twist to the original story!

where can i watch skam?

yay! if you're curious about this series and all its remakes, you can find a full google drive with subtitled episodes (since i know everyone doesn't speak seven languages) on the internet, youtube videos, dailymotion, even tumblr has clips. you just have to look for them!

i'll post another part about the characters!

happy reading and feel free to dm me if you have questions or if you want a link to the show!!