CHAPTER 1: BACKPACK

Gombe, Nigeria

She just wants to be beautiful she goes unnoticed she knows no limits she... "Assalamualaikum" A beautiful soft damsel's voice came through as she answered her uncle's call.

"Waalaikum salam Arfah a jamo? Noi mama en? Noi wuro?" Bappah Uthman enquired.

"I'm fine and so is everyone at home. How's aunty Jamila and Ya Aban?" Arfah asked as a smiled formed on her face with the thought of Ya Aban.

"They're all fine alhamdulillah. So how are the preparations going? Mama told me that you'll be travelling to Kano in two days time. Skyline right?"

"Yeah in two days insha Allah. Yes, skyline" she replied as she strolled to the kitchen.

"Oh eyya Allah hoinu lawol. I'll see whether I can come see you off. But who'll drive you there?"

"I don't know yet. Mama didn't inform me but I think it's baba Karami" she said as she sipped her tea.

"Okay. I think Aban should just take you since he's on his annual leave. But we'll see how the things will go. Komna nayam adda Aisha"

Arfah choked at the mention of Ya Aban. He is freaking going to drive her from Gombe all the way to Kano. Wow! How lucky is she? She drifted off to an imaginary world the only revolves around her favourite cousin and crush Ya Aban and only her. Just the two of them.

"Hey" someone tapped her on her shoulder which made her flinch and jolt from her daydream.

"Maa when did you arrive?" she asked but before her mom could answer her she jumped on her and gave a bone crushing hug.

"Hey Arfah that's enough and how many times would I tell you to stop giving me those types of hugs?" Hajiya Khadijah warned but all that Arfah did was just smirk at her loving mother who always pulls her ear.

"I'm going to my room and make sure you finish this your cold tea. Goodness knows what you were thinking of that you fell into another world" Hajiya Khadijah shook her head as she left the kitchen to her room.

The tea was cold so Arfah didn't take it. Her mind drifted back to reality. She would be starting a new phase of her life again. A life after highschool. A life with new people, new environment, new setting, new state, and a new family.

She knew she had two more days until she leaves and she knew she wasn't as strong as she appeared to be when her cousins Maama, Maimuna and Hajara bombarded her with questions like what she would do when she leaves Gombe, what she would do on her first day at college, how she would behave and pretend as if she was sensible in the house she'll be staying at blah blah blah.

"And where are you going? Don't you know that we're going to visit Bhabu in the hospital?" Arfah's sister asked with a stern face.

"I know and I'm not going anywhere, just going to get some fresh air in the garden" Arfah rolled her eyes and stepped out of their room to go get some fresh air.

Life as a bee
Produces golden syrup but stings
Sweet but tasteless without solutions
Life as a damsel
Beautiful and walls never crushed
Cute but a game of blood
Life as an orchid of roses
Colorful and bold
Fragrant but pricks
Life as a bird
Free to the moon but dark with light
Dear SK, this life is full of ups and downs. It's just like yesterday when I received a call that Baba kicked the bucket. And now, it's been over a year since his demise. I miss him a lot sk I swear. But Allah loves him the most and insha Allah he's in a better place...
                                     With love,
                                        DV