Say You Do

As soon as I walked out of the crisp night air and into the bar that night and saw her sitting there nursing what looked to be her second drink, I knew exactly where my night would lead. Sure, I could have stopped at the door and told the guys I just remembered a last minute thing I had to take care of. I could have pretended to get a text from Nancy saying that Winnie was sick and I needed to come to the hospital. Hell, I could have even told them that I was tired and didn't really feel up to drinking that night. Instead, I rolled up the sleeves to my charcoal dress shirt and loosened my navy and white tie a bit. I knew full well what was going to happen and I walked in anyways.

She looked just as stunning as the last time I saw her which felt like a lifetime ago. The only differences were that her hair was a little longer, just past her shoulder blades. There were a few more laugh lines on her otherwise perfect face and my favorite dress, the dress I bought as a gift fit even more perfectly around the beautiful curves of her body. I tilted my head as I watched her slip her foot in and out of her heel, a habit of hers. I felt Miles clap me on my shoulder and broke my concentration. "You coming, Jim?" I looked at the boys walking over and sitting in our usual booth and then I looked back at her sitting at the bar by herself, spinning her finger around the rim. At this point there was no use in hiding from her. I saw her face wherever I went on billboards, newspaper stands, and countless promotions on my television. If I wanted to see her, she wasn't hard to find but if I wanted to talk to her, there was one simple thing I could do. Without breaking my sight of her, I turned my head slightly. "Uh, you know what Miles, I think I'm going to go up to the bar and get a drink real fast. Why don't you go on without me?" Miles sighed and gave me his best concerned friend look. I put my hands up and gently squeezed his shoulders. "Hey, I know exactly what I'm doing, bud. I'll be fine and if I'm not, I'll come back." He raised his eyebrows. "You better, Jim." I smiled and pushed him towards the booth. "Go on. Get a round for you and the boys on me." Miles laughed and started walking away. "Like any of us would pay for our own drinks." I shook my head and chuckled before turning and walking towards her. I held up two fingers to the bartender as I approached the bar. "I'll have what this beautiful young lady is having. Gin and Tonic?"

She let a smile spread across her face as she looked up at the barkeep, still running her fingers around the crystal rim of her glass making a low melodic tone. "Ice water." She replied with a giggle before lifting her head. Without looking at me she moved her purse from the barstool next to her. "James Fallon. I would recognize that voice anywhere. It's the same one that floats through my bed every night at 11:45." The bartender slid the water down in front of me as I motioned to sit down next to her. She silently nodded as she finally looked into my eyes. I heard her release a tiny audible sigh before she turned quickly. She was trying to hide the flush of her cheeks that I knew all too well. I grinned against the rim of my glass as I took a drink. "Don't you mean 11:35?" I asked as I set the tumbler back down on the bar top, running my fingers along the granite before glancing up at the television. I watched a replay of the Yankees game intently as I heard her take a sip of her own. "No." she said simply as I raised my eyebrows before turning my head down and to the side to look at her. Her cheeks were still rosy and an embarrassed smile still rested on her lips. "I meant what I said. It's a lot easier to not miss you so much if I miss the monologue. That way the camera occasionally pans away from you." She glanced down at my outfit and lightly touched my tie. "Especially if you're in my favorite suit."

I looked down at my dress shirt and tie. I guess these two were her favorite colors. I smoothed out my tie with my hand, letting my fingers pause briefly over hers and smirked as I slowly let my eyes slide up her body until I was face to face with her once again. "I hadn't even noticed to be honest. I don't dress myself much. You can thank the wardrobe girls for this, I guess. I was too lazy to change after the show." She reached up and tightened my tie again. "Well, you look good, Jimmy. Then again, you always cleaned up well even when you were forced to wear a tie and blazer." I watched as her hands slipped down my tie and back over to her water. I cleared my throat and scoffed. "Well, I'm still forced to wear a suit and tie. I'm just a little more fashionable these days I suppose." She reached up and tousled my hair playfully. "I see the hair has gotten more manageable. That's always a good thing." I glanced up at my now mussed hair. "Yeah, again, you can thank my hair and make up girls. They keep me looking young but enough about me. You seem to be doing well for yourself, Kins."