TWO

not knowing it was our last
to the end i tried to argue with you
when looking back, it was nothing
why couldn't i put my ego aside

"please, please!" her shaky pleads fell on deaf ears.

jisung didn't look up or turn back to face her. he didn't want to.

goeun stepped forward, stumbling over her own two feet as she gripped his hand in hers. "park jisung, you-you are wrong." her words were hushed as they tumbled past her quivering lips.

the boy couldn't move. it was like his feet were cemented to the ground-holding him in place with ropes of guilt and denial.

this is for the best, chae goeun.

jisung exhaled, breath so quiet his own ears didn't hear it. maybe i'm already dead... he internally joked, but there wasn't anything funny about the situation.

he felt two slim arms loop around his waist and a head fall against his back, causing him to shiver beneath her touch.

"please, let's not fight. i know how much you hate fighting-"

"stop, eun." goeun stopped.

jisung felt her fingers trembling against his abdomen, but he couldn't allow himself to comfort her. instead, the boy brought his own hands to his middle and unhooked the girl's arms from his waist.

"don't run after me this time, please." he was begging. jisung knew that if she followed him, he'd end up back in her arms.

someone as bright and popular as him couldn't be with a good-for-nothing loner like her.

jisung shoved his hands into his pockets and continued his path forward, never turning once as her quiet cries faded with into the silent emptiness behind him.