Prologue

GLOSSARY:

Quarter gallery.

The high, tower-like structure at the back of a ship that housed the officer's quarters, including the top deck where the ship's wheel is located.

Powdermonkey.

A person in charge of moving gunpowder to the ship's cannons/artillery. This role was often filled by young boys aged 12-14 due to their ability to move around in the limited space between decks.

Keelhauling.

The process of punishing/killing someone by dragging them through the water under the keel (underside) of a ship by rope. This was a particularly harsh form of punishment as the underside of ships was covered in barnacles, which would cut up the skin of the victim.

Quartermaster.

The person that is second in command on the ship. They take on leadership duties when the captain is not available.

Galley.

The kitchen on a ship.

Flintlock.

A type of pistol commonly used on pirate ships in the 17th-18th century. These fired when a piece of flint struck a piece of metal (frizzen) to ignite gunpowder. Often old guns were reconstructed into a lighters, so that when the trigger pulled, tinder in the body of the gun ignited. Matches were not invented until the early 19th century, so this was the only way for pirates to quickly ignite flames.

Chewstick.

A tool for cleaning teeth before the use of toothbrushes. These were commonly made by taking licorice root and fashioning the end into a set of bristles.

Jolly boat.

A small paddle boat (dinghy) that sailors used to get inland through waters too shallow for their ships. They are steered with two paddles on either side.