Level up

Level up? What the hell is going on? My mind was racing, there's no way this is just some game or simulation right?

"The hell is that?" The inkling asked weakly. So she can see it too.

I reached out and touched the screen, it got a little bigger. It also said something new, "New skill: Player vision (passive). You now perceive the world as if you were the protagonist in a video game."

I sighed in relief. Judging by the wording, this is all real, I just have some kind of magic power. Wait a minute...

I touched the screen again, "New skill: Voice control (active). Access your menus and activated skill with just a single word."

And again, "New menu: Stats. Check your stats and status conditions.

New menu: Skills. See what skills you've unlocked and their activation requirements.

New menu: Items/Inventory. Access the items you have as well as specific information about an item.

New menu: Equipment. View and change your equipped weapons and armor."

I touched the screen one more time and it disappeared. I guess that explains my sudden speed boost. I turned back to the inkling, she was just barely holding on to consciousness.

"Hey, hang in there!" I said. I carefully picked her up and carried her the open cage, setting her in the bed.

"Th-thank you." She said, falling asleep. Poor kid, judging by her unstable form, she was younger than 14. Damn these basterds.

"Is anyone else hurt?" I asked the others.

"He had just started with that girl." someone called out.

"Well now he won't hurt anyone else." I said, grimly serious.

"Thank you," someone else called. I took a deep breath and steeled my nerves, I hate public speaking.

"This isn't the last you'll see of me, my friends on the outside are working on a way to get everyone out of here, so please be patient."

"How long do we have to wait?" asked a young boy.

"Not long, just a few more days." there was a small cheering from the captives, but I quieted them, "Shhhh, you'll alert the guards." I told them. They all went silent. "I'll be back in the morning and I'll be making some serious changes." and with that I snuck out of the facility and back into the house. I took a shower and washed my hero suit, making sure to hide it once it was clean. I sat down in the living room and started to clean my sword, when all of a sudden there was a knock on the front door.

"Who is it?" I called.

"Hey man, it's me!" it was Jason. I wiped the blood off of my sword and hid it under the couch.

"Come on in!" I told him. Jason opened the door and stepped inside. When his face was in view, his name appeared above his head. That must be the player vision skill I just got.

"Something big just happened." he said grimly.

"What's wrong?" I asked, faking concern.

"Someone broke into the facility again, but this time they killed six people."

"What?" I asked with false surprise.

"One of them was my grandpa Fredric." Aw fuck. "I mean, I know he wasn't the greatest guy, but he didn't deserve death!"

"Do you have any idea who the killer might be?" I asked, worried that he might know it was me.

"No, but that's why I came to you. Did you see anything?"