one

❝ But then again, animals usually don't lose their homes now, do they?❞

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

HAWKS was lost. He'd suspected as much for some time, but now he was sure. The man at the garage just outside town had given him directions, but Hawks hadn't written them down and now he'd forgotten most of them. Not to mention, his phone already died sometime ago.

His bright vermilion wings flapped loudly behind him as he decided to lower himself on the parking by a library. He thought that a library was probably a good place to get some help. Landing gracefully on the ground, he let his wings stretched for a bit before folding them and entered through the entrance.

The library was a decent size, especially for so small a town, and well stocked with books, albeit mostly rather old ones. The carpet looked a few years past its best, too.

There was no one at the desk at the moment- in fact, there seemed to be no one else there at all- so he wondered around the shelves for a while, occasionally picking up a book at random and pretending to look at it while keeping an eye out for a member of the staff, but there was still nobody in sight.

"Are you looking for anything in particular?"

Hawks had to stop himself from visibly jolting in surprise, clearly had not expecting anyone to speak up. Man, he really was out of it. Or maybe the person was just really sneaky? Pushing his thoughts aside, the Pro-Hero spun around to find a [height] young woman with [hair colour] hair looking at him with a smile.

She had a badge pinned to her sweater that said 'Senior Library Assistant' in printed letters and then [Last Name] handwritten with a black marker pen underneath.

Where had she come from? Were all librarians so quiet? And why didn't his feathers detected her before at all?

He snapped out of his thoughts when the girl- [Last Name]?- shifted slightly under his gaze. "Ah, sorry. What?" Hawks tilted his head slightly at her. She raised an eyebrow at his confusion, the gentle smile still present on her lips. "I said: Are you looking for anything in particular?" She repeated. The male twisted his body to he could fully face the girl with a nod and a smile. "Actually, yes! I'm looking for my home."

[Last Name] thought about it for a moment, still smiling. "Well," she started, pointing to the book in his hand, "I'm pretty sure you won't find it in zoology. Not unless you're an animal, anyway."

She had a good smile, warm and mischievous at once, and Hawks found himself appreciating the smile, along with her joking tone. He raised an eyebrow with an amused smirk. He spread his left wing to show to the other, nearly bumping it into the other shelf beside him, and chuckled as her face showed a hint of surprise and awe.

"Well.." he trailed off playfully. The library assistant huffed lightly, her previous smile creeping on to her pretty face. "But then again, animals usually don't lose their homes now, do they?"

Hawks let out an amused laugh at her words, the other chuckling softly with him. A few seconds passed before the laughter died down, the previous tension in the air dissipating into a more comfortable and friendly one.

The girl cleared her throat, her toothy grin falling into a friendly smile. "Right sorry, sorry." She said. "You're looking for your home. How do you mean? And how can I help?" Hawks perked up at her words and nodded.

"I flew by this area after dealing with a villain attack a few cities over and I.. sorta got lost on my way back." He leaned against the shelf with a chuckle. "I've been flying around for ages. Spent quite a bit wondering why a town as small as this had two libraries. And then when I saw the third one, and it looked exactly the same as the other two, I finally realized I was going around in circles. So I thought I'd stop by and ask for some help." Hawks' face turned into a more pleading and helpless look.

"...help?"

"Yeah, of course." [Last Name] nodded and laughed good-heartedly. "I guess even heroes like you need help every once in a while." She grinned toothily, causing his heart to skip a beat and an unfamiliar warmth spreading in his chest.

Huh. That was new.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───