Chapter I - Leaving

Author's Note

This story is a fan-fiction based on season 1 and the first couple episodes of season 2 of the show Once Upon A Time which plays on Sunday nights on ABC. You don't need to have watched the show to understand what's going on, but I would definately recommend it so you don't miss any plot references! As of 2024 it's on Disney Plus. Check out the embedded video for the trailer, which gives some background info on the show. Thanks for reading this and if you like it remember to vote and comment!

Chapter I

Have you ever had the feeling that you didn't belong anywhere? If so, you've probably experienced a small glimpse into what I've been feeling my whole life.  I live in a small town called Camden, Maine.  It's nice, not too far from the Atlantic Ocean.   It's a really small town but there's plenty to keep me occupied from a bustling harbor in the summer, to snow parks in the winter.  Things are great here, and I've never been particularly unsatisfied with the area.  Yet... there's just this nagging feeling inside of me telling me that I'm not supposed to be here.  I'd compare it to a sort of imposter syndrome, but for a place rather than self-accomplishments.  

There is this reoccurring dream that I've been having throughout my life of a simple clearing in a dark forest.  There's nothing that special about it, but somehow that feels more "at home" than my actual home in my waking life.  I mean, I guess I do exist there 8 hours a day.  Being there for 1/3 of my day isn't insignificant, right?  Then again, not needing to deal with real-life jobs and taxes in the dream world could also play a part.  For that alone I wish it was real!  But, it's impossible.  Dreams are meaningless.

I'm Elle Lucida, just a twenty-something year old without a single professional certification to my name.  Chemistry has always interested me but I just haven't got around to applying and actually going to college.  Instead I'm working at our local library.  It's a nice job, but an ironic job considering I don't actually read that often.  Other than that life is comfortable.  Too comfortable almost, considering how big the world is and how little of it I've actually been able to explore.  I've had enough of the monotony.  I know it may seem a little rash, but I've decided to try and escape it.  I'm not sure where I want to go, and for how long;  I just can't stand living in a place that no matter how hard I try I can't really feel a part of.

In the midst of my overthinking I hear honking outside my apartment window. The apartment complex is actually an old motel renovated into larger living spaces, so it's probably not hard to imagine how that looks. It isn't the most ideal place to live, but it's what I have. Well... had. "I'm coming!" I shout through the door to the impatient driver waiting for me outside. I quickly cram the last pile of my belongings into the purple jumbo-sized suitcase I had to buy last minute from Walmart this morning. I make a quick round throughout each room to make sure I have everything I need.

"Ah!" I gasp when I reach the front door.  I look to my right to see a blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl staring back at me. I roll my eyes. "My reflection," I say under my breath. I must be completely out of it today. I take down the mirror and rush my stuff outside to not see a yellow taxi sitting in the driveway.

"Are you kidding me?" I whine into the clear blue sky. The taxi driver couldn't have waited FIVE minutes for me to get my things together? I drop my stuff onto the sidewalk in defeat and run back up to the apartments.  I skip up the stairs two by two and down the narrow hallway to the rooms and start knocking rapidly on my neighbor's door.

"Yes?" answers Simon, the only person in this town that I consider a friend. I've known Simon for as long as I can remember.  We've always been there for each other, and somehow his presence has always made me feel more at home than my actual home.  

"I have a huge favor to ask you!" I throw at him immediately.

He pushes his head of messy brown hair back a little and smirks, crossing his arms. "What is it?" he asks.

"I need your car."

"Where do you want to go?" he asks.

I freeze, I hadn't really figured that part out yet.  I was so focused on leaving that I didn't even plan on where I wanted to go.  "I don't know," I finally tell him, feeling a little embarrassed.

He tilts his head to the side a little and raises his eyebrows at me. He sure has a way with expressions. "Well, come on, every adventure requires a first step."  A strange way with words though.  "Give me a minute to pack!"

"What?" I ask, "I don't even know how long I'm going to be gone, or if I want to come back."

"It's my car ma'am.  If you're gonna be gone indefinitely I'm coming with. We'll make a road trip out of it!" he exclaims, pulling out his keys and swinging the lanyard around his index finger. He walks back into his apartment, leaving the door open.

I take that as an invitation to go in, so I do. His living room and kitchen areas are a reflection of mine, just much more disorganized. I take a seat on his worn-out striped couch while I wait for him to get done.   As I close my eyes to try and ease the pain of the headache I'm starting to get, I feel something small and furry drop onto my lap. "Oh!" I utter, my eyes flying open to see a fluffy young white cat sitting there; its crystal blue eyes stare teasingly at me. "Are you bringing your cat?" I ask Simon, who immediately appears in the doorway. It'll surely be uncomfortable for it in a car for a trip that will take who knows how long. Simon smiles. He picks up the cat, and walks over to a small green pet carrier in which he places the little thing.

I end up falling asleep until the sound of squeaky luggage wheels wakes me up.  Simon is gathering all his belongings in front of the door. "Are you ready to go now?" I ask, a bit worried about how we're going to fit both of our lives into one car. 

"Almost." He walks over to the fridge and takes out two black cans. My eyes widen when I realize it's my favorite beverage, an Arnold Palmer, a mix of some classic lemonade and ice tea.  Simon knows me so well.  He throws one to me as he shuts the fridge door and keeps one for himself.

"Now I am," he says, getting up with his cat in one hand, luggage in the other. I start walking with my can back towards the door. Simon locks it from behind us and follows me to the parking garage. I input the door code and am immediately greeted by the smell of grease, oil, gas and sweat. I pinch my nose to prevent myself from throwing up at the strength of the odor. Simon just laughs. "Patrick from room four is trying to fix up his car," he says pointing to a dirty old clunker in the back.

"Ugh, that thing honestly looks like it's beyond repair," I say making my way to Simon's mint green hybrid.

"Never underestimate the power of car dudes," he says laughing. After employing our Tetris-skills to organize our stuff in the trunk, Simon opens the front door and places the green cat carrier in the passenger seat.

"Um, no," I tell him, "I'm not going to sit in the back seat while your cat rides shotgun," I cross my arms.  Simon laughs.

"Sorry Cici, I'll make it up to you," he whispers through the holes in the carrier. I roll my eyes and take my rightful seat and we make our way out of the garage and of the apartment's driveway starting our... adventure.