prologue; the embrace of the death

━━━━━━━━┛ ✠ ┗━━━━━━━━
It was dark, the city of Yokohama seemed to have calm down. It was wrapped in the dark folds of night, sleeping. From afar it seemed so peaceful, the streets usually filled with people were empty, dark windows and even the sea, usually raging around, had calmed down, quietly splashing against the shore. It seemed almost beautiful but the closer you got the uglier it was. Criminals liked the night; it provided them cover and they welcomed the nights dark folds with open arms, like a child embracing their mother after a hard day, wrapping themselves in it so tight that even the moon's prying rays couldn't find them.

On one of the many forgotten docks of Yokohama was standing a girl. She bathed herself in the pale moonlight, listening to the sound of the sea lullabying itself to sleep. She was a nobody, a stranger, even to herself. She wasn't special in any way, how could she be when the city was filled to the brim with nobodies trying to be somebody. Yet she was comforted by the fact that nobody would miss her, that nobody even knew she existed. 

She opened her mouth and started singing. It was a children's song about the dusk and the dawn and how they were so different, yet so similar to each other. They meet on the longest day of the year, when dusk puts the setting sun into dawns arms and kiss for a moment. Dusk's cheeks blush and reflect pink on the morning sky, until dawn relights the sun and they have to leave eachother's arms, waiting for next year to meet their lover once again. The meadows adorn themselves with flowers to celebrate dusks and dawns love.

It was a beautiful and a sad song and it was the only thing she could remember about herself. When the song ended, she could almost feel the nimble fingers of death petting her head and whispering to her, telling to not be afraid. Its embrace felt familiar, like an old friend, it was comforting. Death wasn't cruel, it didn't discriminate, it didn't matter whether you did good things or bad things, in the end death always came and nobody could escape it.

 At that moment she didn't want to escape it. So she stepped off the dock into the sea. Everything went quiet, the water was dark and comforting and the young girl finally felt at peace, away from the deafening noise and ugliness of the world, knowing it would all end soon.

 Hidden away by the folds of the night, a young man was sitting on a bench, watching the girl fall into the dark water.

    ━━━━━━━━┓ ✠ ┏━━━━━━━━

A/N:

Just a warning that this story contains mentions of suicide, swearing, violence and other things that could possibly be triggering to some people. If you want to continue reading please keep that in mind. Also please keep in mind that English isn't my first language and there may be mistakes.

Thank you for reading.