1: The Darkest Night

Author's note
Welcome to part one of Side Story Saturday! This was originally my entry for the monthly prompt in the writing club over on the Roblox Royale High Amino, with the prompt being 'dreams'. I hope you enjoy reading!
✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

It was a beautiful and calm evening in the capital of Divinia, and the Summer sun was still shining brightly on the horizon, as was expected of the country of eternal peace. Even with war raging through the neighboring countries, Divinia was ever quiet and serene, the only effect it had on the theocracy was that it prevented Royale High School from opening its doors for a new school year, but it was no cause for concern. As was the case for the eldest princess, Astrid, who was bringing her younger sister Emma to bed. She had just finished reading her a story about Saint Divinia, sitting on the bedside while Emma was lying in bed, slowly falling asleep.
"And that's the story about how Saint Divinia saved the content from darkness," Astrid finished.
"She sounds so brave and heroic! I wish she was here now, then she could stop that war!"
"Indeed. I imagine she could easily stop the conflict going on right now. Or she could at the very least convince all the countries involved to stop their senseless fighting."
"Well, at least Divinia will always be peaceful place free from darkness, right, Astrid?" Emma asked.
Astrid looked at the floor, "y-yes, of course." Emma was about to open her mouth again, when Astrid stood up. "Well, it's getting late, and about time for you to sleep."
"Oh... Good night sister!"
"Good night," Astrid smiled, turning off the lights and closing the door. She now stood in the empty hallway and decided to head to the sitting room, where she sat down to read the newspaper. She was so invested in reading the latest news about how the war between Falmar, Aurion, Theros, and Magnos was playing out, that she didn't hear the footsteps that were approaching her until they were almost in front of her.
"Astrid, there you are."
"Ah, good evening, mother. You are late today."
"I know, but for good reason. I had to pick up a letter, it's from your father."
Astrid stood up, "from father? Can I read it?"
"Yes, it was addressed to all three of us. I already read it, and he's well." Her mother handed Astrid the letter. "I am going to sleep, it has been a long day. Good night, daughter."
"Good night, mother." Astrid waited until she couldn't hear her mother's footsteps anymore, opened the letter, and started reading.

Dear Madelyn, Astrid, Emma,

I pray that you are all doing well, especially considering the current events conspiring on the continent. I am doing well, performing my daily duties as usual. I was so delighted when I heard that Emma learned etiquette so easily in just a few days. I'm very proud of you, my daughter. Madelyn, I hope the conflict happening around Divinia isn't causing you too much stress. It has been years since a conflict of this scale arose on the continent... Of course, Divinia will always be under the protection of Saint Divinia, so we have nothing to fear. It would be wonderful if it were to end though, since Royale High School still remains closed, and Astrid expressed a great desire to enroll. I will be praying for your sake, Astrid. I would love to see you be able to attend Royale High School, I am certain that it will do you well. I regret to say that this is all I will be able to write this time, as paper is scarce at the moment. But know that I love you all a lot.

Your father, Nathaniel

Astrid smiled at the letter, and laid it down on the table so her sister could read it tomorrow. She then looked at the paintings that decorated the room, but was interrupted by a strange noise in the distance.
"Who's there?" Astrid asked. There was no response, so she stood up and walked in the direction the sound came from. She looked around, but saw nothing that indicated the presence of another human. Or anything that could have made noise. Suddenly, a cold breeze blew through the hallway, dousing the torches, shredding it in a pitch-black darkness. Astrid looked around, both confused and panicked. It was Summer, a cold breeze like that was impossible, not even considering the fact that there were no windows or doors leading outside opened at this hour. She was also terrified of the darkness. She started running towards her room, as far as that was still possible without running into a wall. Normally the darkness already made her panic, but this wasn't just darkness, it turned the castle into more of a dark void of nothingness, which made it impossible to even see the contours of the walls, doors, torch holders, or anything that decorated the walls. Astrid stopped running, not knowing what part of the castle she was in, and she was going to start screaming if it weren't for the torches slowly reigniting, one by one, bringing back the light to some extent. The darkness was reduced to more of a layer of fog preventing Astrid from seeing far in the distance, but she didn't need to see far. In front of her appeared a group of husks, wearing black robes but bearing no face. Astrid looked behind her to see the same scenario. She was trapped. She tried to move her legs, but they were stuck like salt pillars.
"No, please don't come any closer! Get away from me! Stop!" she screamed, but it was of no use. She fell to the ground and started to cry, not wanting to see what would happen to her. But nothing happened, and when she opened her eyes she was looking at the paintings in the sitting room. The morning sun was rising on the horizon and its first rays shined through the window. Astrid saw the letter from her father on the table.
"It was just a nightmare... Wait, that was the nightmare I always had when I was younger! But why would it come back now?" Astrid looked at the time, "oh no, there will be a church session in an hour, I need to hurry up!"