1 | The boy that fell down the stairs

Late November 1988, it was a Thursday in autumn and merely my sixth day in Tokyo, Japan.

Of course, I did not speak any fluent Japanese. I only spoke a little bit of it, but I knew it more than enough to understand what people talked about. And since a lot of people understood English over here well enough, I would find my way through my stay here.

"It's past 7:30am already, Karolina. Do you want to stand up? Elsewise you will be late for your first day at school."
My aunt's voice chimed as she entered my room.
"Oh, you're awake. Great! I will just make some breakfast, so put your clothes on quick."

"Ciocia [Polish: auntie, aunt], can you help me, please?"
I inquired as I stood up from my futon, placing my book on the small nightstand next to it.

My aunt nodded as she walked further into my room while I walked up to my closet.

"I know it's childish and so on, but what uniform should I wear? Green or dark green? Black?"
"Dark green suits your long, dark blonde hair more. Chose that one then."

She walked up to my closet to put the green uniform back inside, leaving me with the dark green one.

"After you put on your uniform, come to the kitchen, I'll make some pancakes. Thirty minutes before school starts, uncle will drive you to school."
She informed me, leading me to nod in agreement. After my confirmation, she left my room.

"Do they really have to wear such skirts?"
I sighed while changing into the dark green uniform.

I combed my hair and put on a moisturiser before leaving my room. I headed into the kitchen where my aunt stood at the stove and where my uncle sat at the table.

"Good morning."
I greeted my uncle in Japanese, leading him to smile at me, looking up from his documents.

"Good morning. Practising Japanese now, I see."
He giggled while I sat down on the chair across from him, smiling at him afterwards.

"Keep doing that, Caroline, it really helps to learn a language more effectively."
He added while putting his documents together, placing them on the empty chair next to him.
"Yep, you're right. That's why I try to do it as often as possible."

"Okay, bon appétit you two. I'll go and change my clothes now as well."
My aunt interrupted us for a moment, causing us to smile at each other.

She placed my uncle's and mine plates on the table, leaving the kitchen soon after.

"Are you exited to go to school today?"
"People will probably detest me because I'm not from here. I'm barging into the middle of the school year just like that."

He handed over jam to me so while he replied.
"I don't think they won't like you. I can imagine they will be curious about why you're here."
"Oh yeah. I will tell them that my parents are maybe divorcing and to apparently keep me out of it, they sent me here to Japan."

"Well, I would not tell that to anybody right of the bat. Perhaps try something like you're visiting your aunt and me for a few months now. You are getting to know Japanese culture while spending time with us, maybe even find the love of your life."

"For everything else - okay. But the last part - no, never! I mean, yeah, love, right? It will only get in my way to success probably, so I will just stay away from it."
"You are only 17 years old, don't say that. Maybe after your studies, you'll meet somebody like you and you will fall in love with them?"

"That's far too imprecise to think about for far into the future. I'll stick to my initial plan of becoming a medical doctor for now."

We switched topics and ate our pancakes before my aunt's voice resounded as she entered the kitchen again.
"It's 8am now, you two. Karolina, do you want me to do your hair?"
"Hmm.. no, I think I will leave it open today. I have a hair tie with me in case I will change my mind."
"Okie dokie."