3. Dual Personalities

Silhouettes on the edge
Gonna keep dancing
We felt it from the start
We knew that something wasn't right
Frequencies are crossing
But our feelings don't collide anymore

It took a lot of time for me to remove the black circles around my eyes which has become huge due to not cleaning kohl last night. I quickly took Vaseline on some cotton balls and wiped the blackness around my eyes.

Thank God, none was awake when I came back secretly. Usually my brother stays awake in night. But yesterday he slept too soon. Maybe he was just too excited for tomorrow.

Surely I calmed a lot after last night. I smiled remembering last night's memory. But soon a thought crushed me. Oh. No! I. Did. It. Again. How'll I answer Hannah now! What'll I answer her? It seems like I've to see her again.

My mother's voice brought me back from my thoughts, "Sweetie, come soon. You know your father won't like it if he didn't found all of us in breakfast."

"Yes, Mom. Coming," I answered. Let's think about it later. Time to be Mary again. Welcome to an another boring day of my life.

After finishing my morning routine, I threw my dress lazily and I headed towards kitchen.

"Good Morning! Little Sis," my brother mumbled underneath his breath as he dragged his feet towards the dining area. He was wearing his baggy red muscle tank, with white basketball shorts. His brown hair is pointing is all short of directions, as his eyes were barely even open.

"Good Morning, Ray," I responded, laughing as I sat on a chair to the dining table. "You're going to school looking like that?"

"It's college, Mary," he started. "None cares how you look."

"But won't Yale kick you out if you go there dress like that?" He nodded and shrugged in agreement. My brother got accepted in Yale. So he'll leave for New York the day after tomorrow. My father wanted to shift us to New York so that Ray won't have to stay far. But Ray refused that idea because of me. My school is here and in a year I'll leave for college. So there's no point to shift.

And trust me a huge war broke out between them because of this. My father cared about his son most. And his son cared about me, his sister most. So you can imagine what happened. But in the end dad gave in because he loved Ray. But arguments flew everyday here.

My mother came in with some dishes of eggs, toasts, hams and orange juice. Ray and I smiled at the breakfast and quickly started eating. My mother is an awesome cook.

My father who joined us some time ago asked Ray, "Are you excited for tomorrow Ray?"

"Yeah," he answered simply.

They talked normally for a while but things got back to the same topic again which is basically arguing I guess. I held my head down. When my father's mood is bad I've to become silent as if I'm not there. Otherwise things would turn pretty bad. He would lash out on me or Mom.

After half an hour which seemed to half an year to me, the breakfast thing ended. It's pretty normal in our house. After a while we all will pretend that nothing happened.

Ray asked me to come outside so that he could leave me to Serena's and go to his farewell party which his friends threw for him. Serena Elomes is my best friend. You'll know about her soon. And I'm telling you you'll complain why you wanted to know about her. She's just a chatterbox.