Chapter 1 - Dear Miss Leah

To say that my life was perfect would be a complete lie. Growing up in an orphanage is not an easy feat and the fact that I'm the oldest makes it even harder. I've lived here my whole life and throughout these ten almost eleven years of my life I've never been given a second glance. At the age of eight, I asked why I hadn't found a family, and the director of the orphanage had simply told me it was because I was different. Ever since I haven't even tried to find a family.

Around the time I turned nine things started to get really... weird. Like some of the orphans, including me, got enough funds to go to a zoo. No, going to the zoo was not what was weird. It was the fact that I was able to make glass disappear. It was funny because I got back to one of the older girls who was bullying me again. But the bad thing was that the glass was separating us from the penguin exhibit. So we all ended up getting drenched. But we got to pet the penguins!

Now here I am, July 24, six days before my eleventh birthday. I'm just laying on my bed looking at the bloody ceiling thinking back on the times I did something strange. Most of the time they were quite funny. But I keep thinking back to when I was really little. I can't remember anything from before I was eight. It's all cloudy and I feel like I need to know what's behind the cloud. But right now, that doesn't matter.

"Leah! Get you arse down here this instant!"

Ugh, what did I do now? More like what didn't I do.

"I'm coming, I'm coming," I called back as I made my way to the stairs.

As I made my way into the common room I asked, "What do you need?"

"You forgot to go get the mail. Now, if you want dinner tonight you better go get it right now!" My guardian, Ms. Marven said.

Ms. Marven is a short lady with strawberry blonde hair. She is really grumpy 24/7. In my opinion, it's because she can't get a boyfriend. But I would never say that to her face or else I would get the biggest beating ever.

I went to the front entrance to the apartment building and put on my shoes, if you can even call them that, then I headed outside. Since the whole orphanage is in an apartment complex the mail doesn't come through the slit in the front door. We have to walk all the way to the mailbox which just so happens to be about five blocks away.

About five minutes later I turn the corner and bump into someone and we both go crashing to the ground.

"Merlin's beard! I'm so sorry! I should have been watching where I was going!" I said as I quickly got up and helped the man get up.

Did I say, man? I meant more like a kid my age. He has platinum blonde hair and green eyes. He was a bit short and he did not look happy.

"Watch where you're going you filthy muggle!" He said as he picked up the book he had dropped.

Muggle? What in the world is a muggle? I don't even have the slightest idea of what that could be!

"I sorry sir but what exactly is a muggle?" I asked hoping he would give me some sort of explanation.

"Nothing that concerns you, you filthy animal! Now get out of my sight this very instant!" With that, I quickly made my around the corner and to the mailbox.

Now, I'm not supposed to look through the mail, but I do anyway. I just have this urge to know exactly what's going on. But today was different. I had this feeling that I need to get off the streets. I felt like someone was watching me and calculating every step. It was kinda freaking me out. So I walked faster and made it back to the orphanage in half the time it took me to get to the mailbox.