xiii. casualties [part. II]

chapter 13 - casualties[part

[part. II]

10 Minutes before missile launch...

As soon as Clarke made it back into the village unnoticed, she immediately grabbed her mother by the shoulder and pulled her aside.

"Mom, what are you doing here?!" The blonde practically hissed. "I told you to stay back at camp!"

"Enough, Clarke!" Abby scolded her. "I am the chancellor. I don't need your permission to go—"

"—No, we have to leave. Now!"

The doctor caught sight of the frantic look in her daughter's eyes, and instantly knew something was wrong. "What is going on?" She questioned her. But Clarke just shook her head and lowered her voice some more, if that was even possible.

"We can't be here. Mom, I'm begging you. Please, just listen to me." Abby nodded quickly, yet hesitantly, and followed her back out of the village.

"Where's the Commander?" Indra asked Kane, just a few feet away. "Where's Clarke?"

"I don't know." Was his reply. No one had seen them in awhile and it was definitely enough time to raise suspicions between the two. "The last time I saw them, they were heading downstairs."

"They're not there now."

Kane took a moment to think, as he looked out to the crowd of people in front of them. He watched some of them conversate amongst themselves, as some feasted on their dinners, and a few warriors sharpened their blades in the corners. He could have sworn he even heard laughter somewhere between the merging conversations floating in the air. All of this and more was in his line of vision, yet not one of those people were the co-leaders of the alliance. Which was odd, considering the important meeting that was scheduled for that night.

"We should search the woods." He finally spoke, glancing over at Indra in time to see her nod in approval.

"I agree."

After that, they went their separate ways. Kane going back inside to inform the other clan leaders, and Indra leaving in order to form a small search party. At that point, it seemed like everyone in Tondc was busy doing something with their lives. Whether it be important business, or just hanging out with friends and celebrating the fact that all of the clan leaders were going to be putting their differences aside for now, in order to defeat a much bigger enemy. But yet, out of all the hundreds of people that were present in the village, none of them happened to see the camouflaged Mountain Man hiding in the trees.

They were oblivious...

"Final targets confirmed." Whitman radioed in, still assuming that Clarke and the Commander were with the other leaders in the building. "We are go for launch."