8. The Past Between Us

Say something,
I'm giving up on you
I'll be the one, if you want me to
Anywhere, I would've followed you
Say something,
I'm giving up on you

"I'm gonna miss you, little sister," Ray whispered as he hugged me. He's leaving for New York today.

"I'll not miss you at all, big brother, " I asserted while whimpering. "Now I can do anything and Mom will love me only, " I said between sobs.

Ray gleamed softly and said, "Then why are you crying?"

"Oh! These are the tears of happiness, " I said while wailing. He again hugged me with tears in his eyes. He has never stayed away from me from the day I was born. My brother always protected me, took care of me more than my parents. Forthwith, he's going to Yale. So I'm not just used without him.

My dad yelled at me, "Why're you doing this kind of drama here? Don't you know your brother has gone there only because of you! And this is how I taught you! To make dramas around!" He then glanced at Mom yelling, "See! How you taught your daughter. She always creates trouble around." Mom stayed silent.

"Dad! Stop it! Why do you blame everything on Mary? What did she do to you?" Ray screeched at Dad.

Dad wanted to argue but Mom held him signaling 'Don't. Let Ray leave in peace. It's his big day.' My dad stayed silent.

Subsequently, I again hugged Ray, "I'll miss you so much, Ray! Take care of yourself!"

"I'll Mary. Take care, of my sister, mom, " he said and Mom nodded. He looked at me for one last time before getting into the car.

My parents smiled at him. My mom is already crying and complaining that her son has grown up. My dad is already feeling sad about the departure of his son. So I quickly sneaked back to my room, picked up my backpack, and ran away from home. I couldn't stay in front of my Dad at all. He'll lash out all his sadness at me. Because of me, Ray went to New York. And now he's not here to save me from Dad's bickering anymore. I quickly left for school.

♥️♥️♥️

Serena gawked at me in the library, "Mars! Finally, I found you. Why did you leave me today?"

"Sorry! I explained to you already in the messages that I had something to do. I took the bus, " I explained.

Serena nodded as she saw that I don't wanna talk about it. She changed the topic, "Are you excited about today's result? I'm telling you, you'll be the winner."

"Hmmm. Good," I said not looking away from the book I was reading.

"Really? Mars. That's what you gonna say. You didn't even watch that video that I made!" She complained looking at me disbelievingly.

"Well, that's because it doesn't matter. If you've edited that it would be much much better. Because you've awesome editing skills," I mumbled to her. I know she likes to hear praises. That's what made her happy.

Serena smiled at me and told, " You know how to flatter me."

"Because I'm your best friend for God's sake. Of course, I know you! " I let out tapping her cheeks.