xv. two truths, one lie

chapter 15 - two truths, one lie

"While it's true that you were wondering in the woods that day, and an Azgeda warrior did attack you, it wasn't because you wondered into their territory." Lincoln began, as he started telling the story.

"It wasn't?" Dakota questioned, and he shook his head.

"No. As a matter of fact, you were nowhere near the Ice Nation. You had only made it a few meters away from our village gates." He chuckled at the memory. "But you were so young that it must've seemed like you were running around for a long time. I was scouting the woods that day at my post, when I saw you wondering around the woods alone. I didn't know what to do because I was only a teenager, but I had recognized you immediately, and I knew that I couldn't leave you out there unprotected."

Kota looked at him in confusion. "What do you mean you recognized me?"

"I, myself, may have been young and naïve at the time, but I knew for a fact that you were the younger sister of our future Commander. I had seen you numerous times before." He smiled, however, Dakota was at a loss for words.

"...What?" She whispered, in disbelief.

"That day in the woods, you were attacked by an Azgeda warrior who was spying on our clan. His intention was to kill your older sister Lexa, however, he mistook you for her and tried to kill you instead. Apparently, the Queen of the Ice Nation believed that Lexa was going to be a threat in the near future, and truthfully, she wanted the power of ruling all twelve clans. So, she sent an assassin to murder Lexa before she became the rightful Commander."

"S-so that means Lexa's my—"

"Your biological sister? Yes." Lincoln clarified, knowing what she was about to ask. "Your name was Leilani, however our people called you Leila."

"Why don't I remember my life before you though?" She questioned him, skeptically. "Surely I would recall the life of being Lexa's sister, right?"

"You were only three or four years old then." He spoke, trying to justify her clouded memory. "Usually children don't remember the earlier parts of their childhood that clearly. I mean, I don't even know what I was doing with my life before I was five or six. Plus, Lexa was a nightblood, so she was already training to become a warrior as soon as she was two. Then when she turned twelve, she was already fighting in the conclave and winning her title. She of course, knew you were her sister. However, you both never really grew up to know each other as siblings. You were rarely ever around each other."