Liberation

Nathalie stood in front of him.

Aras.

Gabriel was somehow witty with names these days. Aras meant "Intelligence of an Eagle" and certainly, Nathalie thought, that he was wise to choose to bring the miraculous home and slowly study its powers. Despite her condition, she supported him even if it meant falling victim to its powers. Baby steps, she promised herself. Bigger baby steps if needed.

"I'm sorry, Nathalie. I need you again for this."

"You needn't be, sir. If it would allow you to have better control of it, then what needs to be done shall be done."

He sighed, taking a few steps back. He promised himself that he wouldn't get her involved if it wasn't yet too necessary. She couldn't even come out of bed as often as before. Adrien rarely saw her nowadays and he presumed that it was all due to her health much similar to his mother's.

But Aras would restrain himself this time since it was Nathalie he was preying upon. The beeping in the room made him uneasy but still, the determined look on her face urged him on.

"Liberation!"

The feather shaped power materialized and sank in her chest as she lowered her head in submission, his voice echoing in her head.

"Nathalie. You were always so calm and collected- you have so much self-restraint to the point where your emotions are a mystery to everyone. I give you a small amount of freedom from your chains, my dear."

And with that, the locks on her chains were unlocked. Not opened but unlocked.

Once she opened her eyes with a wicked smile, her limbs felt weak and she almost collapsed to the floor if Aras hadn't caught her in time. She shut her eyes in frustration, her breathing slightly becoming ragged. Aras immediately carried her to the bed, placing her gently over the covers.

"Nathalie? A-are you alright?"

"I'm fine," she smiled. "Just a little overwhelmed is all."

Aras sighed as he de-transformed, Liiri immediately retreating in the pendant once she was no longer needed. Nooroo and Duusu hovered close warily.

"Miss Nathalie! You need rest!" Duusu reminded.

Nathalie smiled warmly, gesturing for her kwami to come to her. Duusu stared at her, bewildered, but squealed in excitement as she landed in her embrace.

"You're right, Duusu. Maybe I do need one," she ran a finger atop the little creatures head before her head snapped up as she returned to fix her gaze on Gabriel's to add, "That is if... you'd allow me, sir."

Gabriel didn't hide a smile as he kept his hands behind his back.

"Of course. You can return to work once you've rested enough."

He bent down slightly to free her face from her glasses and placed the object on the nightstand. He let her shift slightly as he placed the covers over her frail frame. He brushed the back of his fingers against her cheek for good measure.

"Thank you, Gabriel," she whispered as she slowly fell asleep on her side facing him with her kwami snuggling close to her face, planting a kiss on her owner's nose.

The man let out another silent sigh, bending on one knee to run a hand on her head.

"No. Thank you, Nathalie," he whispered back.

In transit to the atelier, Nooroo spoke.

"Master. What are we actually doing now?"

"A little experiment, Nooroo. We'll have to start slow before letting Nathalie's true liberation from her constraints entirely be freed."