xvi. deals with devils

chapter 16 - deals with devils

"Welcome, Skaikru." Lexa greeted everyone, as they entered the tent. "Join us."

The army was only a few miles away from the Mountain at this point, however, they deemed it a good enough place to stop and relay the plan of the mission. The Commander had the important team leaders gather in her tent, where they all stood around a large table that had a mini display of Mount Weather set on top of it.

"Package from Raven." Sergeant Miller stated, as he handed a fairly large device over to Clarke. "Hydrazine. She said it would do the job."

"Good." The blonde replied, taking it from his hands.

"And, uh, your mother wanted to be here too. But—"

"—I know." She cut him off. "But the wounded from Tondc need her more." Miller nodded, before stepping back, which allowed Lexa to begin with the meeting.

"Field Commanders," She declared. "Today's the day we get our people back. The enemy thinks it's safe behind its doors, but it's not. When it realizes that, it will fight back. Hard. We need to be ready." She then turned it over to Clarke, with a simple nod.

"This is a rescue mission." Clarke specified. "We are not here to wipe them out. There are people inside that mountain that have helped us. Children who have nothing to do with this war. We kill their soldiers. Their leadership if we have to. But we are there to rescue our people. Is that clear?" Everyone silently nodded in understanding, causing the blonde to continue on. "Good. Then let's begin."

"There are four teams." She stated, as she moved closer to the miniature model. "Two of them at the dam and in the mine, are moving into position already. The third, inside the mountain, is freeing the grounder prisoners as we speak. It is our job as the fourth team, to keep the eyes of the enemy off of them for as long as possible. To do that, we have to be in position at the main door with our entire army. The Mountain Men believe the door can't be opened from the outside, so they leave it unguarded. Only, it can be. And thanks to our source on the inside, now we know how."

"According to Maya, the electromagnetic locking system has one flaw. When the power goes out, it disengages. And that's where Raven's team comes in. The mountain's electricity is generated at Philpott Dam. By now, they've taken the turbine room. It's their job to blow the power. Once they do, we blow the lock. There is a catch. A backup generator inside the mountain. If the lock is still functioning when that backup power kicks in, we'll never get that door open. We'll never get our people back."

"How much time do we have until the backup power kicks in?" Miller asked.

"...One minute. That's the window."

"Small window." He mumbled. "Why don't we just take out the backup generator too? Bellamy's inside. Have him do it."

"Leaving them without power that long would kill them all." Clarke replied. "And as I said, that's not the mission. Besides, we lost contact with Bellamy."