chapter two | sweet talk

you and bakugou weren't really friends per say, well, that's what he would admit anyway. you two didn't talk in class and he only ever spoke to you when it was late at night and no one else was around... that or he'd yell at you for being in his way.

you weren't sure why he did what he did. bakugou was not a nice person, even to his 'closest friends'. but for some reason, the thought of him caring for you — even in that rude voice — felt like a realistic concept.

written exams were coming up in just a week and you need as much time as you could get to study over the weekends. that meant turning down ochaco and her request to go into town on saturday.

so, there you sat again. while the others were downstairs in the common area doing their weekly game night activities, you skillfully made your presence unknown and hurried towards your dorm without anyone noticing. it was a really soothing place that you were able to make your own, but it was not a place you wanted to study in. oh well, there was no other choice.

being as you were only on the second floor, you would hear the soft and muffled laughs of your fellow classmates. you were friends with quite a few of the soon-to-be pro heros, but you never really got a chance to become seriously close to with any of them. you were always busy with something to help you become a better hero, taking up all your free time. your heart hurt for a second, you could be down there with them and forming new bonds, but it was too late for that now.

you picked up your phone, seeing the message you had left on seen about the saturday girls trip. you wanted to go, you wanted to have a least one person you could confidently say you were friends with. but, you turned off your phone once again and stared down at the papers before you. right, this is why i'm here.

with a tired groan, you fell back on the floor, eyes closing for just a moment. you tensed up at the sound of a knock on your door, you were secretly praying it wasn't anyone who noticed your disappearance. if it was ochaco, you wouldn't be able to face her. maybe you could pretend to be sick?

"hold on," you mumbled loud enough for whoever was behind the door to hear, throwing in a fake cough. just in case. as you sluggishly got up from the ground, your hand latched onto the cool doorknob, turning it and pulling it open with all the energy left in you.

"you look like a fucking mess," bakugou blurted with a grunt as soon as you opened the door enough for you to see his scowling figure in front of you.

"no shit sherlock. i haven't slept at all recently." you admitted sheepishly, rubbing your eyes and stepping aside as he stormed in, placing a plate on your desk.

"whos cake is that?" you asked as you eyed the delicious snack that sat only a few feet in front of you. your door closing was the only sound that was heard between the two of you. you were scared to look, but you knew bakugou stare was burning into your head.

"why don't you take better care of yourself?" he interrupted the uncomfortable silence along with a small step towards you, causing you to back up against the door.

maybe it was because you were exhausted, or maybe it was because of his intense stare, but you couldn't find the right words, and your heart was beating faster.

you never got nervous around him, so why now?

"i-i don't know what you're talking about," you
managed to mutter out, "you never answered my question." you added with more confidence.

"that stupid french extra made it for some reason. now why the fuck won't you give yourself a break," he pressed, taking another step closer to you, being half an arms length away.

"bakugou calm down, it's not like i'm gonna fucking die!" you had to laugh, the two of you argued like an old married couple. it made you laugh even more, being married to him would be impossible.

"why the fuck are you laughing so much?" he barked, his fists clenching at his sides. he hesitated taking another step closer to you, so he stayed put.

"because it's just funny how much you care~" you teased with a small smirk adorning your now bright eyes that shined behind your glasses.

"shut the hell up, i don't give two shits about you," he seethed before turning his head to the side and crossing his arms over his chest. aha, so he was nervous now?

"mhm, then why are you so desperate to know why i haven't been sleeping katsuki? seems like fan behavior to me," you shrugged, the devilish smirk never leaving your face.

"goddamn you. forget i ever came in here." he grumbled as he pushed you away, opening your door and stopping for a moment.

"i brought you meletonin just in case you needed it. go to bed," he looked up, like he was debating what to say next.

"also, ochaco is worried about you. she thinks you don't like her," he turned his head towards you, the expression on his face was one you've never seen from him before, "it wouldn't hurt to be friends with her."

just then he closed the door with a slam. you stood there with a shocked look, you have never seen his cheeks get that pink before nor have his eyes ever looked so... light.

it took you a minute to compose yourself, but once you were able to think logically again you had grabbed your phone off the floor.

y/n
sorry i couldn't answer you
sooner ochaco, if saturday is still
an option id love to hang out!

there was a nervous silence after you had sent your message.

ochaco
omg really?? yay!!!
i'm so excited!

i was going to come up
and talk to you because
i thought you were mad :(
but then bakugo realized
where i was going he said
he'd go instead

do you think he likes you?

you read the last message, your whole body suddenly feeling too hot for the sweatshirt you were wearing.

bakugo did not like you. right?