chapter three | sugar!

one night. you took one night strictly for no studying. after you had gone out with ochaco last saturday, you realized how much you were missing out on the fun stuff by shoving your nose into a book every chance you got. finally, you focused on yourself and didn't bother even glancing at the notebooks on your desk.

you weren't sure why none of the other students were up, since it was a saturday night, but you appreciated the silence — minus the light rain that occurred outside.

you sat up on the kitchen counter, a bowl full of cut up strawberries that balanced on your legs. you hummed softly while your feet kicked the air childishly. the sugar container that sat next to you was opened with a tiny spoon buried inside.

you took the spoon out, sugar resting in a small pile in the divot of the metal utensil. you coated the strawberries in the crystallized sweetness before dropping the spoon back into the container and picking up a fork instead.

a quiet sigh of satisfaction and relaxation left your lips as the sugar dissolved onto your tongue.

"sorry did i interrupt something?" a low voice spoke sarcastically from behind you. you instantly knew who it was and shook your head, not even giving him a glance.

"no. no you didn't bakugou," you spoke sternly, your eyes trained on the bowl on your lap. you felt his presence a few feet away from you, that same feeling of his eyes locked onto you again.

"i'm shocked," he asked with slight amusement laced in his usually harsh voice. this time, you finally looked up at him... and oh was it a sight to see.

bakugou leaned against the wall, shirtless and only in boxers and shorts; you glanced at the boxers that peeked out right before the shorts and tried to make too obvious of a reaction. your gaze slowly moved up his body until you met his questioning stare. a smirk rested on his pink lips, but it seemed more playful and softer this time.

what a sight.

"me too, if i'm being honest," you managed to get out before immediately diverting your eyes back to the food, your fork poking at it.

"why are you still up so late if you're not studying? this would be the perfect time to sleep, dumbass."

you shrugged as he took a few steps closer to you, "i'm just not tired tonight," you admitted with a quick glance back at him.

"i don't buy it."

"well i didn't ask you so,"

"don't talk back to me, idiot."

"or what?"

bakugou stayed quiet after that, your eyes finally meeting with such an intense hold. it seemed as though you were both biting back what you truly wanted to say... or do.

"what are you eating?" he asked nonchalantly, disregarding that whole moment a few seconds ago.

"strawberries with sugar." you answered with the same cool tone, trying to show as if his gaze, that spoke for all his unspoken words, didn't affect you.

"with sugar? never tried it," he cocked his head to the side as his eyes narrowed in thought. the sentence almost made you laugh, bakugou loved anything containing sugar.

even though he was standing there, basically half naked, saying words silently and acting as if everything was normal... only one thing was going through your head;

why is he being so calm with me?

given that thought has been running through your mind ever since you two met, he always seemed softer with you. although you both know he would never admit it.

"you should try it," you mumbled out subconsciously, your fork stabbing into one of the slices.

"tch, okay fine." he agreed easily, as if he wanted you to offer it to him. in an instant, he was in front of you, hands resting on the counter you were sitting on. his hands gripping at the ledge on both sides of your legs.

he was dangerously close.

you couldn't look up, you didn't want to tempt him, or yourself, more than you already were. you swallowed the air stuck in your throat before hesitantly looking up into his eyes. he was, in fact, extremely close. a few inches of thick tension filled air sat between you two.

you held his gaze for a few seconds before bringing your fork up, his eyes now moving down to look at the fruit that was punctured by the object.

instead of grabbing the fork, like a normal person would, his mouth opened, waiting for you.

your eyes widened while his were closed, you took these few seconds you had before he became annoyed you hadn't given it to him to really take a good look at his face.

he had long eyelashes, long enough for them to curl naturally and to lay effortlessly upon his somewhat rosy cheeks. did you do that to him? shaking off the thought, your eyes darted around his face, seeing light freckles scatter his cheeks. they were very faint, but they were there. you couldn't help but smile when you noticed a stray eyelash rest on his cheekbone, so delicate and innocent.

"are you done staring?" he titled his head to the side, causing you to divert your attention away from your thoughts.

remembering the task at hand, you raised the fork to his mouth and let out a shaky chuckle when he didn't close down. one of his eyes opened in curiosity before he became crossed eyed, viewing the fork in his mouth. he let out an 'oh' sound before taking the strawberry from the fork.

finally backing away, he chewed the fruit and you looked at him in amazement. you saw him in a new light right then and there. he was so gentle and carefree. those were new words to describe katsuki bakugou.

"it's actually really good, gimme" he furrowed his brows as he took the bowl and fork from you, popping more into his mouth one by one.

you stayed silent, observing him as goosebumps rose onto your bare arms. did you suddenly get cold because of the loss of his warmth? no, it had to be something else.

"eyelash" you whispered suddenly, the small word falling off your lips caused bakugou to stop his eating, looking over at you with full cheeks.

"what?" he asked with a mouth full of sugar and strawberry, almost choking before swallowing all of it, licking his lips right after.

oh god.

"what did you say?" he asked again, no scowl on his face, just pure confusion.

"you... you have an eyelash, dummy, on your cheek." you motioned for him to move back over to you, which he did in an instant. warmth filled the both of you up.

your hand moved to his face, his eyes never leaving your face as you tried to avoid his gaze. it would be way more awkward if you looked him in the eyes right now. gently, your thumb swiped across his surprisingly soft and warm cheek. he didn't even blink.

"make a wish" you suggested as you held your thumb off to the side, causing his head to turn towards it. he looked deep in thought for a moment before he closed his eyes, blowing out a cool breath which sent the eyelash flying into the air.

"what'd you wish for?" you asked with a twinkle in your eyes as he stayed put, only moving his face to look back at you again.

"you'll just have to wait and see, dumbass."