The Iceberg

Part 1: The Boy in the Iceberg

“It’s not getting away from me this time,” said Sokka, his spear pointed at a fish in the water. “Watch and learn, Katara. This is how you catch a fish.”

Katara and her older brother Sokka were out fishing in the icy waters of the South Pole, near the Southern Water Tribe where they lived. Currently, Sokka had his spear raised, waiting to stab a fish that was swimming a little too close to the canoe. Katara rolled her eyes at her annoyingly obnoxious brother and turned away from him. Her eyes widened a bit when she saw another fish swimming near her end of the canoe. Taking a nervous breath, she removed her glove and used Waterbending to bring the fish up out of the water in a small bubble of water.

“Sokka, look!” she said excitedly.

“Shh, Katara!” Sokka said in a loud whisper. “You’re gonna scare it away! Mmm, I can already smell it cooking.”

“But Sokka!” Katara insisted. “I caught one!” She brought the fish closer to the canoe, aiming to drop it in the basket, when Sokka lifted his spear to stab the fish he was aiming to catch. The butt end of the spear popped Katara’s water bubble, causing her fish to escape and fall into the water, swimming away. Sokka gasped as the ice-cold water splashed onto him and Katara yelled “Hey!”

“Why is it--that every time--you play with magic water--I get soaked?” Sokka asked as he squeezed water out of his gloves and shot his sister a look.

Katara sighed in exasperation. “It’s not magic, it’s Waterbending. And it’s--”

“Yeah yeah,” Sokka cut her off, “an ancient art, unique to our culture, blah blah blah.” He squeezed out his wolftail (or as Katara called it, a “warrior’s ponytail”). “Look I’m just saying that if I had weird powers I’d keep my weirdness to myself.”

“You’re calling me weird?” Katara crossed her arms. “I’m not the one who makes muscles at myself every time I see my reflection in the water.”

Sokka--who had been doing just that--pushed his sleeve back down and glared at his sister. Before he could say anything, however, the canoe hit chunk of ice in the water and the siblings were thrown into the rapids. Sokka grabbed the oar to try and steer them, but he wasn’t having much luck.

“Watch out!” Katara screamed as they almost hit another ice chunk. “Go left! Go left!”

Unfortunately, the canoe got trapped between two large pieces of ice that were even bigger than the canoe, and Sokka grabbed his sister and pushed her onto the flat piece of ice before they were crushed along with the canoe. Katara managed to stop herself from sliding into the water and backed up to where Sokka was sitting near his spear, which had embedded itself in the ice. Miraculously, the rapids had ceased, leaving the waters calm and serene.

The siblings, however, were not. “You call that left?” Katara asked her brother.

“You don’t like my steering?” Sokka sassed back at her. “Well maybe you should have ‘Waterbended’ us out of the ice.”

“So it’s my fault.” Katara stood up and glared down at her brother.

“I knew I should have left you home,” Sokka said, not looking at her. “Leave it to a girl to screw things up.”

Katara’s eyes narrowed and she lost her temper. “You are the most sexist, immature, nut-brained--” She paused, swinging her arms around as she continued her rant. “I’m embarrassed to be related to you!”

Sokka looked up and did a double-take when he saw the large shark-tooth-shaped formation of ice starting to crack behind Katara. She didn’t seem to notice as she continued her rant.