Chapter 1: A new beginning

⚠️ THIS BOOK CONTAINS VIOLENCE AND SEXUAL CONTENT⚠️

Some people are lucky, and some people aren't. Like me.... I am an example of someone that's not lucky at all. I am poor, live on a stupid farm with my mother. My father passed away a couple of years back due a car accident. He left us with a big amount of unpaid bills and we were already poor. My mom has three jobs and I need work as well. So, I work at a drive thru. After school, I am taking people's orders. Kids at my school bully me because of it, but I ignore them in the best way I can. Even though it's hard sometimes.

I brushed some of my straight dark blonde hair from my face. Even though my life is hard I try to make something of it. Like all kids, I have a dream. I want to travel, see the world. I hate being stuck here. There's just one problem, I have no money. Everything I earn with working here goes to my mom so she can pay off the bills. Right now, I was standing behind the last window, giving people their food. It's boring, I normally take orders.

The revv of a powerful engine caught my attention. A beautiful red Ferrari 458 Italia cane to a stop. My jaw nearly dropped. Expensive cars aren't common in this area. A very handsome 19 year old guy looked at me. His eyes, a beautiful ocean blue seemed to glow a little. Kinda everything about him is perfect, his muscular body, his nicely shaved face, the soft fair skin, he seemed to be pretty tall too. Maybe 6'5 ft. There was me, wearing a stupid outfit with old clothes underneath it. I kind of felt embarrassed. "Good afternoon, signora," he said with a gorgeous italian accent. I flashed him a smile while handing him the paper bag. Just for a moment, my frozen hand touched his larger but warmer hand.

"Thanks..." he replied, placing it next to him. "May I ask you something?" he asked. "Sure..." I replied, leaning against the counter. "Have you seen something strange lately?" he asked. "As in?" I asked, raising a brow. "Anything..." he said. I bit my lip "Two days ago... a fighter jet flew over... it crashed in the forest a couple of miles from here in the north... but other than that... nothing strange happened. They haven't found the jet, only the crash side..." I replied. "Great... thank you," he said. "Oh... one other thing..."

He glanced at me again and I bit my lip and shook my head. "Never mind... north," I said, turning away. He stared at me for a good moment. He drove off and I closed the window again. It's not the only strange event that happened around here. Two weeks ago, I witnessed a murder in the office when I was bringing food around. They had been talking about a flashdrive and guess who stole it. I don't think they have spotted me or seen me steal it, but I am careful with who I am talking to. I don't know what's on it, since I have no computer and I am scared to take it with me.

After work, I walked back home. It's already dark, but I am used to walking through the dark even though the streets are dangerous at night. Gangs often walked around with weapons, something chasing or beating up people. It often resulted in death. I just stuck to the shadows, and kept my eyes pointed on the floor.

A car pulled up next to me and I recognized it. "Hop in!"
I raised a brow. I didn't know if I could trust him, maybe it's a setup. "Come on... I am not going to kill you," he said. With a sigh, I walked around the car and hopped in the red sports car, buckling up. It's the first time I am sitting in a car. my father used the bicycle, we never had a car. One, we couldn't afford one and two, we couldn't afford the gasoline. "Isn't it dangerous for a 18 year old girl to be on the streets?" he asked without looking. "Perhaps... but I am used to it," I replied without looking. "So, why did you want me to hop in?" I asked. "You seem to know more... so why don't we have a little chat?" he asked. "How do I know I can trust you? How do I know you're not setting me up?" I asked, narrowing my eyes. A smirk spread across his face. "I like you already... you're a feisty one, aren't you?" he asked.

"What about you, tell me your name first?" I asked. He laughed and smirked which pissed me off a little. "No name, no information," I said. He looked at me, the smirk never vanished from his face. "Dino," he replied. "What about you?"

"Skylar... or Sky how most people call me," I said. "Alright, Sky... what was it you didn't want to tell me?" he asked. "For whom do you work?" I retorted. "What about me asking questions?" he asked, raising a brow. "What about you answering me if you want to know what I know?" I asked. "Alright... fair enough. I am a spy... I work for N.E.S.T..." he said, showing me his ID. "What are you looking for?" I asked. "No, no no... I ask you questions, now... I answered you so it's only fair you answer me... why didn't you want to tell me the truth this afternoon?" he asked. "Corruption," I replied. He glanced at me with a raised brow "I wittnessed a murder a couple of weeks back... we can't trust the police... cuz... a cop killed the guy. I stole a flashdrive... I don't know what's on it, but... I do know it's important... they're going to kill me if they know I stole it..." I said. "I spent a lot of time on the streets... so I know everything around here..." I sighed.

"I doubt that..." he said. I raised a brow but shrugged "Anyways... whatever you're looking for... you will not find it... so, you can pull over now and let me out," I said. "No, not so fast... you have important information," he said. "Which I just told you... now what's in it for you... what do you want?" I asked. "I can't tell you..." he mumbled. "The disappearance of the plane was a huge subject for at least a week... lots of conspiracy theories... and now you showed up. Can't be a coincidence... you know more about it..." I said.

"You're a smart one, aren't you?" he asked. "Smart... maybe. I know it happened before, something crashes and suddenly disappears... I kept track of how many times it happened... I collected some information since I have connections in the underworld. I can easily get on the darkweb... I know exactly which people are selling what, what kind of crimes they did, who killed who... but why would you care? You think I don't know anything..." I said.

Dino glanced at me again "I doubt it indeed... maybe you're just trying to make me curious. "For me to know, for you to find out... people like you don't care about it anyways," I said, shrugging. "What is that supposed to mean?" he mocked, shooting me a dirty glare. "This..." I said, pointing at him. "I am not going to give you the flashdrive if that's what you want, nor give you any more information... you don't need simple people like me to solve your damn problems... but I can tell you, you're not going to find what you want, but you can try of course... it'll be a deadend... do whatever you want,"

He came to a stop and turned towards me. "Goodluck..." I mocked, before hopping out and closed the door, disappearing in the darkness of the forest to head home.