Devious Stares

Perfume and makeup particles penetrate the air in the Slytherin girls dormitory as they get ready for the most awaited night of the year, the Yule Ball. They chat excitedly about their dates as they put on and flaunt their best party dresses.

Y/N stares intently at herself in the mirror, focusing all her attention on applying her signature dark red matte lipstick. The tiniest smear and she'll have a crimson stained chin that's gonna take ages to clean.

She presses her lips together slowly to cover every inch them in the dark red liquid. Inspecting herself in the mirror, she puts the lipstick down, satisfied at how it turned out.

"You still haven't put on your dress? The boys are gonna be here any minute!" F/N, Y/N's best friend, scolds her.

Y/N turns around to get a glimpse of F/N's party attire. She looks stunning in an off the shoulder dark purple dress.

"You look great! But tone down the dramatics." Y/N rolls her eyes. "My hair and makeup are done. Those are the most time consuming things. Plus I need your help to zip up my dress."

Y/N takes off her black silk robe and steps into a dark green spaghetti strap satin dress, with a slit that she had to fight to be able to wear because the professors claimed it was "too high and inappropriate".

"You're lucky you're worth the wait." F/N fumbles with the small zipper on the back of Y/N's dress.

"Come on girls, I already told you the story." Pansy Parkinson giggles from across the room as she puts the last finishing touches on her makeup.

She's loud enough for the entire dormitory to hear. Y/N can't help but eavesdrop in the conversation.

"I know, but it's just so cute and romantic. Go on, tell us again how he asked you." Millicent Bulstrode coaxes, sighing dreamily.

"Okay, fine. Last week after the Quidditch game ended, we decided to stay behind and hang out. Then, out of nowhere, he pulled me out onto the middle of the field where he used his wand to spell out in fireworks "will you go to the Yule Ball with me?". Of course I had to say yes!" Pansy gushes as she recalls the memory.

"Wow! I didn't know he was such a romantic." Tracey Davis swoons.

Pansy notices Y/N watching them through the mirror. She meets Y/N's eyes, maintaining eye contact as she says, "I guess I just bring out that side of him."

Millicent and Tracey giggle. The three of them grab their dress wraps and step outside to go meet their dates, leaving Y/N and F/N alone in the dormitory.

"You don't have to put on a strong face, I know you wanted him to ask you." F/N pats Y/N's shoulder gently, both to comfort her and let her know that the dress is secured.

"Are you insane? You know I can't stand being in the same room as him and you think I want to spend all night looking at his stupid face?" Y/N says defensively.

"Really? But you were so upset when you found out he was going with her." F/N raises an eyebrow quizzically.

"I was upset because even he had a date and I didn't. But then Harry asked me and I felt so much better. I swear F/N, you should know me better." Y/N rolls her eyes, offended at the mere thought.

"If you say so." F/N teases.

"I do say so. Come on, it's almost time." Y/N sits down on her bed to put on her strappy black block heeled sandals. They were a little higher than she was used to, but she'll manage.

She digs in the drawer of her bedside table, pulling out a green velvet box. Inside lies a necklace with a silver snake wrapped around a green gemstone and a pair of green drop earrings.