Chapter 1

Chapter One

I amused myself by spiralling the slip that summoned me to the Principal's office in mid-air, about a foot above my hand while the Principal was off calling Zach, my guardian. But before you spend half an hour trying to figure out what I mean by that, let me explain to you who I am, and what I can do. My name is Arah, I can manipulate and control the elements, to an extent that is, my ability seems to increase with time. I cannot reverse gravity, but I can levitate objects using the air, although at the moment, I can only do so with medium sized objects, such as books, pots, pans, stools, and some smaller tables. I also sprout black-feathered wings between my shoulder blades on command. Well now you know my gifts and abnormalities, let me explain to you  how I ended up here.

____________________________________________________________

About three hours ago, Eve and I were sitting peacefully on the edge of the school's fountain. Eve is my one close friend, and the only person besides for Zach that has any clue about my abilities. Next thing you know, Lina walks up, surrounded by her snobby posse, and announces, "Well what do we have here?" she says, giving a broad swoop of her hand towards us, and paused to make sure she had any passer-by's attention, "The Freak out on a walk with her pet Mute?" Now Eve is not a mute, she is quiet by nature yes, but far from mute. I, myself, accept being called a freak, this does not offend me in the slightest. For, as you can see, the way I talk and write is odd and strange by most people's standards. People generally despise the things they see as odd or strange, I expect this. However, I will not let Lina harass Eve. 

"Lina, Eve is not a mute, you know that."

"Then let her speak for herself Arah." she said, giving Eve a light push on her shoulder. Eve just stared at the ground and said nothing. Lina, since she failed to get a reaction, tried another approach. "Lets see what we have here." she said, picking up two of Eve's books. "Intermediate Philosophy, lame." she announced, then tossed it into the fountain, I watched as Eve's jaw dropped as her beloved book met its end. "Oh? What's this?" she asked, holing up Eves's diary. Eve stood up and tried to receive it, Lina shoved her with one hand and send her sprawling into the fountain after the first book.

"Lina..." I warned, "put it down."

She flipped to a random page. "June 14th, 2011, dear diary..." 

My mind started to race, that was the day I told Eve about my ability.

"You would not believe what Arah told me today, I can scarcely believe it myself."

"Oh no" I thought, "this has to stop." I thrust my hands in front of me, throwing Lina a good ten feet with a gust of air, (my power only projects itself through my hands, neither Zach or I know why this is) she released the diary mid-flight, and I snatched it up as Eve dragged herself out of the fountain. Then we ran.

____________________________________________________________

And that's how I ended up where I am now, in this dingy office. Everyone is under the impression that I pushed Lina and sent her flying, which is good, because this way Zach doesn't have to maneuver me out of this one.

I hear the click of a door handle, and send the slip on one final twirl, and flick my other hand to incinerate it on the spot. What breeze is left scatters what little ashes remain. 

"Hello again Arah, making a habit of this I see." Mr. Tott says as he walks to his desk.

"I missed our chats." I reply. Mr. Tott does, in many ways, resemble his name. He is short and round, just like a tater tot, with almost yellowish skin. I have a lot of respect for Mr. Tott, he does his job well and is relatively fair in his judgments and punishments.

"Arah, this is the third time this month you've been sent down here; you know I can't let you just walk on this."

"She deserved it sir; I think she is just upset that I got her little Lilly-white skirt dirty."

"I know how you feel Arah, you have explained your position to me before."

"Well see! We have an understanding then!"

"Not how it works Arah." he proceeds to fill out a pink form... not the usual detention slip I am used to seeing, "Here you are my dear." he said, handing me the form.

"Suspension?!" I shouted, "Why?!"

"Three strike rule." he replied, "It's just three days, be thankful."

I groaned in protest, but grabbed my bag and headed out the door to wait for Zach to pick me up. 

____________________________________________________________