Tripping

Halloween - The night I can walk the earth among the living.

The past several years I've only visited, staying behind the curtain that separates the dead from the living. The only person I want to visit is my fiancé, Lyla. My death was too much for her. She spent several years alone and even dating she keeps an arms-length distance. She doesn't laugh like she used to so today I am making it my mission to make her laugh.

It's morning and I am admiring her as she sleeps in. The peacefulness fills her face. As she opens her eyes to wake she looks to her right at the empty bed and I can see some sadness fill her eyes. She gets up and heads to the kitchen. I ever so slightly push her causing her to walk into the door frame.

"Son of a bitch!" She wines and then is then followed by a giggle. "My god, Lyla you are a hot mess."

Walking past a vase full of flowers, she heads to the kitchen to start the coffee pot. When she turns and looks at the flowers, I bend over and blow on them making them move. She watches and a slight smile forms at the edge of her lips.

Shaking her head she picks up her phone and texts Charlie, her boyfriend. He's been on her time with moving forward in their relationship and I can appreciate that. I lean over her shoulder and place my hand on top of hers causing her to mess up her text to him.

"I can't wait to see you," his text says.

"I can't wait to suck you," she writes back. "OMG! See you!" She laughs out loud and its music to the air. "I am so sorry!"

We watch together as the text bubbles appear then disappear a few times. Finally "Today is going to be fun. Will see you soon,"

She smiles and puts her phone down and grabs a cup of coffee. "I'm going to need this black if this is how my day starts,"

She gets ready to go to the pumpkin patch and waits for Charlie to arrive. She's putting on her knee-high boots when the door knocks. She takes a moment and looks at herself in the mirror, "This will do Han Solo," then she answers the door.

"Hey!" He says. "So... Sucking?"

She gives a nervous laugh and shakes her head. She locks up and they climb in the car to head to the pumpkin patch.

They have a light talk and I'm sitting in the back seat. The radio is on and I lean forward causing a bit of static and then I make a new song play.

Mmmbop, ba duba dop

Ba du bop, ba duba dop

Ba du, oh yeah

"Hanson?" She chuckles. "I did not know you were a fan,"

He quickly turns it to a different channel with his face red, "I do not like Hanson!"

"It would explain a lot,"

"What does that mean?" He starts then looks over at her and pokes her side, "Wait for a second, you know the artist to the song!"

She shakes her head and giggles. "Wonder if they are touring,"

They arrive at the pumpkin patch and he pays for them to get in, good guy. He holds her hand as they walk around to the different games and rides. There is a slide that goes through a mountain of dirt. He grabs a burlap sack for them both and walks up the steep hill. They each pick a slide and decide to race. When they pop out the bottom one of his shoes comes tumbling behind him.

"What happened?" She points and laughs.

"The slide won!" He shakes his head in embarrassment. "Moving on!"