12. Two Broken Hearts

The massive wooden door was pulled open and the face of their future Alpha King was seen by everyone, including Ariana. She stood up from her seat like a senseless puppet as her mind had froze from the reveal.

The man from the garden. His eyes, his hair, his stare, everything was the same. Except for the attire and the aura around him. It was much stronger. "He even looks better than before." She thought.

The way he waltzed in and made everyone submit, she was impressed. She remembered the time when she had mistaken him for a gardener. Watching him sit on the royal throne and being crowned mortified her to the core.

As soon as Duke Lorenzo was out of the view, she could see him clearly. He was looking as supreme as one could.

She began chanting proudly with others. "Long may he reign."

When he stood up and started speaking about the Kingdom and its Queen, it finally dawned on her that the Alpha King standing in front of her was not just a person for admiration, but her soulmate and a profound responsibility came with that.

Unlike her sister, she hadn't dreamt of being a Luna, let alone the Queen. Despite that, she vowed that she would take on this responsibility wholeheartedly.

When he asked for his mate to step forward, she panicked. She was now certain that he was her mate. But during all the time they had interacted with each other, never had he acknowledged her as his mate.

She was processing all these thoughts inside her head when she noticed that her sister, who was standing beside her, was no longer there but in the front, beside him.

Her whole body became cold. She couldn't decipher what was happening in front of her. Why had Persephone gone over there? Why wasn't her mate objecting? What were they trying to do?

She looked around her. Her father seemed to be pleased. Her mother was crying but with a smile on her face. Her brother and sister-in-law were also smiling, seeing the couple standing on the stage. Her eyes widened. She understood what they were thinking. But of course, they didn't know the truth.

She turned her eyes to the front again. Persephone had a smug look on her face. She usually did. But her mate was standing there without any emotion on his face. Shouldn't he be shocked or even angry on what Persephone was doing? The girl was standing beside him instead of his mate!

Her head shot up when she heard a loud roar saying "NO!"

She heard the whole conversation that took place between Nathaniel and Luna Iria. Relief washed over her as she heard Nathaniel say that Persephone was his mate. However, it was short lived when Persephone spoke, "Enough Nathaniel!"

Nathaniel turned his head from his mother to the girl he was claiming as his mate. "No! Enough you, Persephone! What are you doing? Why are you standing over there when the King clearly asked for his mate?" He was fuming.

"Your answer lies in your question." said Persephone, diverting her gaze.

"No, it does not." Nathaniel frowned.

"I think it is crystal clear why my daughter is standing over there, young man." Alpha Edward gritted his teeth.

Nathaniel tried to compose himself before speaking, " With due respect Alpha Edward, your daughter and my mate has no business over there."

"I am not your mate!" Persephone shouted. Tears were visible in her eyes. She closed them and repeated in a low voice, "I am not your mate."

Nathaniel just stood there in silence with his misty eyes set on Persephone's face.

Persephone opened her eyes before continuing, "I always knew you were obsessed with me, Nathaniel. How you only visited my brother in hope to see me. But now, you have crossed your line!"

Nathaniel did not defend himself. His head was hung low.

"No matter what you say or do, Moon Goddess pairs us werewolves before our birth. " Alpha Edward spoke in support of his daughter.

"Do you want to know why I am standing here, Nathaniel?" Persephone spat.

Nathaniel lifted his gaze.

Persephone straightened her posture before answering. "It's because the Alpha King is my soul mate."

Color drained from his face.

"You're lying!" came a dangerous shout from an unexpected person. Shocked from the outburst, everyone shifted their perplexed gaze towards Ariana who was looking at Persephone with a gaze that suggested she could jump on her any moment.

Persephone opened her mouth in shock. Her younger sister was never known for throwing fits. She heard her so called mate, who was standing beside her, release a long sigh.

"You're not his mate." Ariana declared.

Nathaniel was now looking at Ariana with hope.

"What is the matter with you two today? Have you lost your mind?" Alpha Edward was accused.

But Ariana didn't back down today for the sake of her sister. She rubbed the tears that were forming in her eyes with the back of her hand and stepped forward.

"How could you claim him to be your mate when he is mine?"

Murmurs filled the hall once again.

"If you don't believe me, ask him." Ariana challenged.

Everyone shifted their attention from her to the Alpha King.

"Tell them." Ariana pleaded to him.

There was utter silence before the only person, who could settle this whole ordeal once and for all, spoke. "I have listened to both the Lady and the Lord and wish to clarify that..."

Ariana was looking at him expectantly.

"...that Persephone Luna Bennet of Pack Ravernia is indeed my mate."

Ariana let out an audible gasp. Her shocked and bewildered eyes did not leave his face while he was not even looking at her direction.

"Thank you for rectifying this whole matter, Your Majesty." Alpha Edward hissed looking at Nathaniel and Ariana.

Now that the Alpha King had confirmed himself, Nathaniel looked defeated whilst Ariana's eyes were brimmed with tears. Her legs gave way and she collapsed. Anwar rushed to support his sister who was sitting on the floor and having a meltdown.

The Alpha King lowered his eyes and waved his hand. "I suggest that you escort the Lady to her respective chamber."

Ariana got up with her brother's help and let out a desperate wail. "Why are you doing this? Why are you lyin-"

"Enough!" She was cut mid sentence by Duchess Lily. "How dare you, girl! How dare you accuse your King!"

Ariana was startled.

"I have known him since he was a little boy. Never has he come up with a lie. Because there is no need for him to do so. Why would he lie about something as pious as mate bond?"

"Duchess! Why would I lie then? Why would Nathaniel lie?" Ariana cried in anguish.

"Luna Barbara! Take your daughter to her chamber and talk some sense into her." Duchess ordered.

"Yes, Your Highness." Alpha Edward bowed and motioned his wife to do so.

Luna Barbara and Anwar escorted a reluctant Ariana, who was sobbing uncontrollably, out of the Hall, followed by Alpha Edward and Naomi.