i. troubling tensions

chapter 1 - troubling tensions

"Just like that..." Dakota huffed, while her heart continued beating rapidly from all of the pushing and shoving she had been doing. With a loud *THUD* Octavia was finally pinned down on the mat, for the second time in a row that morning.

Both girls were sweating and out of breath from the little sparring match that they had been at for the past two hours. It had originally started off with them using swords, however, both brunettes soon switched over to hand-to-hand combat instead. There was just something about the subtle touches here and there, and the constant skin contact, that ignited a fire within them and kept them going at it. In all honesty though, they just loved being near each other.

Plus, things have definitely been getting more heated between the two ever since the war at Mount Weather three months ago. Once they had won the battle between Cage and the rest of the Mountain Men, Dakota had ran into the rest of Skaikru, including Octavia, and they all made their way back to Camp Jaha, which was now officially known as Arkadia.

When Octavia saw Kota, she instantly ran over to the girl and embraced her, as she apologized profusely about leaving her behind. Even though it still hurt the grounder girl, she already had time to think the situation over, and as it turns out, she wasn't really mad with Octavia to begin with. She was mostly angry at Clarke and Lexa for chaining her to the bed like she was some sort of criminal. So, Dakota also apologized to the brunette for being so cruel when all Octavia wanted was for her to be alive and safe.

After the group had gotten back from the war, Lexa was there waiting for them, or specifically, Dakota. Clarke chose not to enter camp after being weighed down with tremendous guilt, and everybody else had just walked right past the Commander, however, Kota chose to confront her. Apparently, Lexa had told her the truth and explained how she made a deal with Mount Weather, however, when the Commander returned to free her sister, Dakota was nowhere to be found.

Because of the fact that the grounder girl was still mad at her older sister, she didn't really give her the time of day. So Lexa gracefully accepted the cold shoulder and decided to head back to Polis, the capital. On her way out though, she did leave Dakota with a specific request. Lexa asked that when the girl was finally ready to speak with her, she would join her at Polis, so that Lexa could begin training Kota as her second.

Now that the girl knew where she came from, as well as the fact that she was now an official nightblood, it was crucial that Lexa begin teaching her the ways of a Commander as soon as possible. Especially, because if anything were to happen to her, that would mean that Dakota would be able to claim the throne in her place. But the girl would also have to strengthen her skills in order to win the future conclave, so that it would be considered a fair ascension.