Zero One

The hallways were as silent as ever, this was the only apartment that was in the Uchiha’s list of assets that was located in the city. It was the living quarters to the disbanded Konoha’s Police Force. A decent two-bedroom apartment complete with furniture, it was everything a twelve-year-old orphan could have hope for. The Hokage had me living here after he met me in the pediatric ward years ago, saying that he was sorry and that he wanted to keep an eye on me onwards. I refused, of course, what able-minded Uchiha would let him be taken care of when he can do it himself. I could and always have been fending for myself. We settle on a consensus that I moved close to the village and I solely agree to it if I get to choose the place. So here I was, in this semi-abandon building.

     It was the morning after I came home from a C-rank mission that turned into an A-rank in the Land of the Waves that happened over a week ago. I was shocked to my senses, I couldn’t even defeat that Ice Release kid. By birthright, I should be on par with him regarding our skills, we were around the same age. That guy was a member of Hidden Mist’s Hunter-nin at a young age, his skills could be said to be on par with Kakashi-sensei. It was clear to me that I was still weak, I was so full of myself, thinking that I could take him on. In frustration, I punch the vanity mirror in my bathroom.

     ‘Strongest clan my ass,’ I gritted through my teeth. Looming inside, was the voice of my brother from our last encounter, mocking my weakness. I flushed the thoughts down and washed my face with the warm water that I let open. I then had the urge to pee so I did so afterward, whistling my way through the 30 seconds of mortal release.

     ‘So this is the famed Uchiha’s house,’ said a voice from my bathroom window. I looked over and saw a dog wearing the Hidden Leaves’ forehead protector, smirking at me.

     ‘What do you want, Ninken?’ I said without bothering to cover up my private's areas, I was going to shower anyway. Ninken was the word we were taught in the academy when referring to Akamaru, a dog bred to be a battle companion to a Ninja. Unlike the Inuzuka’s dogs and judging by his attire, this dog must have come from a large pack of Ninken that lived in the underworld like the Cats.

     ‘Impressive, Sasuke-kun, you were aware of what I am without an explanation. I’ve gotta handed it to you, you know your stuff boy,’ said the Ninken.

     ‘Either you get on with it or I will beat you up senseless, I don’t like dogs too much,’ I said, irritated that my morning was being interrupted.

     ‘I am well aware of your clan’s relations with the wretched cats. You need not get used to me. I am Pakkun, one of your teacher’s most prized Ninken,’ said the dog.

     ‘You interrupted my morning just to introduce yourself?’ I asked him, staring into his eyes.

     ‘No, I came bearing a message from your teacher. Kakashi wanted to meet you three at your old house today,’ said Pakkun.

     ‘Well, message received. Go bother Naruto or something,’ I said to dismiss him. The Ninken left mumbling about his despair waking up a certain blonde idiot to no avail and that a certain pink-haired Kunoichi had mistaken him for a stray and fed him. Not that I care about that. I turned on the shower and got drenched under it. My mind drifted to that night years ago at Uchiha District.

     I was running late that night, having been held up at the library for a long time. My feet stomped through the pavement towards my home, coldness of the air streamed along my skin. I was oblivious back then, I didn’t even notice the absence of everybody, at least not until it was too late. Bodies littered everywhere, blood-spattered on the walls, streets, and the body themselves. Under the moonlight, stood a man holding a bloodied sword that was glistening the moonlight. He turned his head as he noticed me and I saw the gleaming red eyes of Sharingan. I recognized him so well in the darkness, his figure was burnt into my mind, permanently there for the rest of my life. Although our eyes met for a brief while, I know it was him. He was long gone after I blinked my eyes but I steeled myself to get home that night.