1

𝑱𝑬𝑺𝑺 𝑪𝑶𝑵𝑳𝑶𝑵

Have you ever wished you could escape a place? I know I have. Everyone wants to come to New York. It's beautiful to those who have never been here. But for me, someone who has lived here her whole life. It's a bit of a dump. But maybe that's just Brooklyn. I don't get out much. It doesn't help that my older brother is so darn overprotective. I can't even walk to the loadin' docks without him following me. It doesn't matter how many reasons I have for getting out of this place. I've been trying to escape New York all my life and I've never succeeded. So maybe I'm meant to be here. There must be something more for me.

"Yo Jessica-" Someone knocked at my door. I pull my eyes away from the sunset and look at my brother, Spot. Always disturbing my peace. "Me and the boys are going to the loading docks. I'll be back later tonight." He pats my doorframe before turning on his feet to leave.

"Spot wait!" I say, jumping off the windowsill. He turns back to me. "Can I come?" I ask, eyes wide, a hopeful grin on my lips.

He huffs."Sorry Jess. Newsies only."

"Oh come on Spot! You always use that excuse." I cross my arms.

"It works pretty good though doesn't it?" He winks. Jerk.

"You know we wouldn't have so many disagreements like this if you'd just let me get a job." I shrug.

"Are you kidding me? I can't sell papers and look after you at the same time! I have a system you know and I ain't no babysitter." He retorts, his Brooklyn accent as strong as ever.

I roll my eyes as he tries to walk away. I yank his arm."Are you kidding me, Spot? I can hold my own." I defend myself.

"Young lady, you are 15 years old. What if you got kidnapped or some man tried to hurt ya? Huh?" He inquired. "Whatcha gonna do, kick him in his sacred zone?"

I shrug. "Seems to get you to shut up." He rolls his eyes at me. "Just let me come this one time and I swear I'll leave you alone." I plead.

Spot stares at the ground. "Jess, the boys don't want to deal with a little girl running around. And quite frankly neither do I." I groan in frustration. "Look, I'm sorry but if that's what the boys want then there isn't much I can do." He says holding his arms up in defense.

"Why do you always choose them but not me!? Will I always be your second choice?" I ask before walking back to my room.

"Jessica wait!-" I slam the door before Spot can defend himself.

I slide myself down it so he can't come in. After a few minutes I hear him walk away. I glance at my window, the big city lights shining bright as they always do. Brooklyn is not all that I got. I get up and walk over to an old bag and grab a few things, stuffing them deep down inside of it. I grab a pen and a piece of paper so I can leave a note. Hopefully he'll just forget about me. I quickly hop out the window and go down the ladder. When I hit the pavement I start walking. Where to you ask?

I have absolutely no idea...

***

I walk for about two hours before I reach Manhattan. I look around at the buildings and see something that catches my eye. I look down the street and see a gorgeous theater with a nice rooftop. Guess I could sleep there for the night.

I get to the top and gawk at the view. It was amazing how the stars and moon managed to shine brighter than all the lights in the city. I sit my bag down and take a seat on the edge of the building. Faint music can be heard from inside the theater, it made this moment feel even more special. Maybe I was wrong about New York.