i. it's the end of the world, and i'm not prepared

Julie Molina

Sometimes I just want to kill Alex.

Why did this boy think it was okay to do that? Out of all the things...

And what did he do exactly? He embarrassed me in front of nick... NICK.. the guy I've had a crush on for forever.

I let out a huff just thinking about it and fall on my bed.

I lay there with the dreaded memory for a few minutes when my phone rings.

I don't even need to look at who's calling to know who it is.

I hit the accept button and put the phone to my ear, playing with the string on my sweat pants as I wait for the call to connect.

"I'm mad at you," I say immediately when I begin to hear background noise.

The voice on the other end sighs. "I know, I'm sorry," Alex started. "I shouldn't have embarrassed you in front of Nick, It wasn't funny."

I stare at the ceiling as I debate if I'm gonna forgive him or not.

"I forgive you.. though you're wrong, it made him laugh so.."

"Yeah... So did you see the new report Nasa put out?" Alex asks to break the awkward silence that had been created.

"No. What did it say?" I question and get up, walking over to my bay window.

I could hear Alex get up as well. I can't hear it but I know he's pacing.

"That the sun is getting closer. The heat is starting to kill plants."

I frown a little. "Lex, you really need to stop reading about these things. It's not helping with your anxiety at all."

"I know.. but I can't not read them. It's not some made-up story or something happening to only one part of the world Jules, it's happening to the whole world." Alex says in a panicky tone.

"I know, I know," I sigh sadly and look out my window, seeing how the sun had gotten closer to earth than the day before. "It gets closer every day."

"Do you think it could start affecting humans? The way it's affecting plants?"

Honestly, if this is the end of the world, I'm more worried about how it's gonna affect Alex's anxiety than how it affects me.

I think for a second, what do I really think about all of this? "I think that-"

Before I could even say my thoughts, there was a knock on my door. "Hold on," I tell Alex and set my phone down, getting up and opening the door, just to see that it's my mom.

"What's up?"

"We're having family dinner tonight," My mom tells. "I'm making your favorite" She grinned at me.

I frown a little. "I have a lot of homework to do." That wasn't a lie, I really did.

My mom also frowned a little. "Oh okay.. that's fine. I'll leave your plate in the microwave. If you need any help, let me know," My mom walks off after telling me all of that.