- Saturday, August 8th -

"I'm sorry Cole, it's just not working out. I love you and everything, but I am so busy with all these new modeling gigs, I don't have the time to come to New York right now. You know my heart belongs in LA. The east coast and I wouldn't do well together."

My heart has just been ripped open, as I am standing on the streets of New York waiting outside a coffee shop. I know if I were to look at my face right now it would be devoid of any emotion. Just numbed by the heartbreaking speech my girlfriend just spewed through the phone. Cadence, my girlfriend of four years, had seen me less than a week ago.

"And you're telling me this now?" I huff through the phone, my teeth gritted as I stand stiffly on the corner of 5th avenue.

I imagine Cadence rolling her eyes at me through the phone, as she always has when I've pissed her off, as she replies, "Well, I didn't want to ruin your last week before you're bound to your job. We both know how stressed you get with work, so like maybe it's better for you if we break up now."

I hang up before she can get another word in. She really just broke up with me... and over the phone. Just like that... four years gone down the drain. No... I can't think of it like that. Those were some of the best days of my life. Weren't they?

Going on vacation with Cadence, surfing, drinking, laughing, that beach has so many memories, so many things I thought I knew... all things I enjoyed so much. So much so that I ignored her mocking my skinny frame. I'll be honest, I am a stick. Whenever I try to put on weight, I fail epically. It's not a pretty sight, and I am surprised that she didn't leave me for one of those Calvin Klein models. Looking down at my phone, I see a text from Cadence yet again. Can't this bitch give me a break. I swipe up and the text message isn't a text at all. Just a picture... a picture of the two of us, taken at one of those ridiculously overpriced hotels on the side of the beach. We look... happy.

I am interrupted from my thoughts as I crash into a short girl carrying two cardboard cup holders. My reflexes are quick as I catch one of the holders before it falls to the ground. Unfortunately the other drinks are not so lucky. The four lattes crash to the ground, spilling out. They really should make those caps more durable.

"Oh my god, I am a total klutz!" the dark haired girl rolls her eyes. It isn't until now that I realize how beautiful this girl is. She's not a fashion model like Cadence, but she is quite adorable in her casual yet sophisticated attire. She's wearing a draped black cami, skinny jeans, and none other than a Gucci belt. So she's into fashion, what a coincidence. Her hair is up in a low ponytail with a little bit of makeup and black nailpolish to complete the look. As a fashion major myself, I can say that her outfit is quite fashionable.

Before I can say another word she is on her knees, obviously upset by her own mistake. Grabbing the now spilt drinks, she looks up at me gratefully. "Nice catch," she remarks. "Are you spider-man or something?" Her laugh is contagious, and I am grinning from ear to ear by her incredible smile that compliments her entire outfit. For the first time I notice the freckles on her face, surrounding her dark brown eyes. She's just the cutest woman I have ever laid eyes on. Without having spoken a word to her, I am drawn to her. Not in the creepy way, but just a longing to be by her side...what the hell am I thinking? Idiot! I have barely gotten out of a relationship. I can't believe I am even thinking of asking this poor girl out.

"Good one," I chuckle. "How about I help you with those? I'm guessing they're not all for you, of course," I shrug at her. She looks me up and down, noting my interesting style, I am sure."

My style is a cross between goth and... I guess you could say retro? I'm not sure about the lingo so much, but it took me forever to find a style I was comfortable and now that I have I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks. Besides, it is New York. Designs like mine are praised for being authentic and unique. Today I am wearing a simpler outfit than my usual, just a Led-Zeppelin t-shirt with a black and white striped t-shirt under it and some black nylon wide-legged pants. It might not sound like much, but I will assure you, it is very in right now.

"Nice tattoos," she nods at my shoulder. I had just recently gotten inked up. Cadence was the only person who had seen them. My skin crawls at the thought of her grazing her hand against my arm, admiring the art.

"Why, thank you," I say, as we walk into the coffee shop. It smells amazing. The small cafe makes my stomach growl as I see the plate of scones in the display case and watch as a young woman in a gray pantsuit is presented with her iced latte.

"Hey! Could you help us, she just spilled her drinks all over 5th avenue," I say to the barista who is wiping down the counter. She frowns at my brashness, but nods and approaches the cash register. The morning rush has gone down and I see the girl next to me turn white. Probably late, I think to myself. She sighs and then tells the woman her order. If she weren't so stressed she would probably have denied my request to pay, but by the way she is glancing back and forth from the door and back to the barista, I am guessing she's not in the best of moods. Well, you know what they say... well I don't exactly know, but I do know that I want to cheer her up and I will. "So... are you new to the town or what? You're pretty young aren't you... to be walking the streets of New York?" I raise an eyebrow at her and she rolls her eyes at me, clearly surprised by my friendliness. Guessing she hasn't had someone try to make small talk with her. New York is a very fast paced place, no one wants to slow down by making small talk.

"Well actually, I grew up in Connecticut. Norwalk to be exact, but I decided to move here with a couple of friends after getting into FIT and I was lucky enough to get an internship... very lucky. I love fashion design-"

I cut her off, "I can tell." I nod at her outfit. So simple, yet so eye-catching.

"Oh, this? This is nothing compared to some of my other outfits- " her phone buzzes just as she's about to tell me about her other outfits, and I almost want to toss that out of her hand and ask her to go on about whatever the hell she wants, I am just that intrigued by this girl. "Hello... yes this is she... of course... Yes, I got held up, I'm so sorry. I'm just down the street at the coffee shop. There was such a long line- I know... okay, I will be there ASAP..." the girl's face is flustered and unfocused as she grabs the coffee from the barista, nods her thanks to me, and rushes down through the shop. Just my luck.