015

september 16th, 2019
7:08 am

THE SLAMMING OF LOCKERS AND KYLAH'S PEERS TALKING AT A BOISTEROUS VOLUME was making her head split

The indecision swirling in her stomach was making her slightly queasy and as she examined herself in the girls' bathroom of her school, she could see two ocean-deep bags underneath her eyes due to the lack of sleep.

The baby pink ceramic tiles on the wall were faded and littered with graffiti from the female students at Henry W. Grady High School. A few miscellaneous pieces of toilet paper were scattered on the floor and the window letting in pale sunlight was cracked on one side.

Kylah cocked her head as she examined her reflection, pulling down the bright red sweatshirt that read 'Grady Gymnastics' in black cursive. She leaned closer to examine the purple bags under her eyes and then groaned at the sight of them.

When she closed her eyes, she saw Sharife moving to take her face in his calloused hands, and could still feel his lips on hers. That alone had made it impossible to fall asleep.

'It's up to you'.

Just another decision bearing on her shoulders.

Great, just great.

The wooden door opened behind Kylah and in walked Nyree, her backpack hoisted over one shoulder, "Hey! I've been looking for you." Nyree says as she walks closer to Kylah.

"I've been here," Kylah said in a lackluster tone.

"Why? This isn't the upperclassman bathroom." Nyree scoffed, taking out a toothbrush and a mini-sized jar of clear edge control out of her bag.

"I knew I'd be alone here," Kylah took off her backpack, unzipped the smallest section, and pulled out three thick envelopes, the edges jagged from how her father had roughly opened them the night before, "These came in last night."

"Where are these from?" Nyree asked as she took them from Kylah's hands, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Chapel Hill, Stanford, and UConn," Kylah replied, lifting a hand to brush the hair away from her cheek, "My dad opened them of course."

Nyree rolled her eyes, and let them stick to the ceiling for a moment before murmuring, "Of course. How long is the list of schools that want you?"

"With these three, we're at seventeen," Nyree let out a low whistle at the number, "How are you narrowing these down?"

"I'm not. All these programs are amazing." Kylah replied, stuffing the offers back in her bag.