Chapter 8.

his soul a mortal light

longing for the stars

༻𖥸༺

UNFOCUSED JEWELED BLUE EYES opened to stare up at the silk canopy that decorated his massive bed, the golden pillars of support decorated in small, sparkling aquamarine stones.

The room was darkened, courtesy of the satin curtains that framed the large windows of his room. And although he need not the light of the sun for the crystal chandeliers should simply be filled with mana and light shall illuminate his chambers.

But he didn't want light to invade his senses, at least not yet. Burying himself further within the comfort of his bed, silvery blonde strands tangled in a mess of a bird's nest, Athan simply waited until his maids of the day built up the courage to enter and prepare him for the day.

(Claude has been rotating his maids since he was old enough to move into the Sapphire Palace一to keep him safe, he said.)

The content rumble of a purr drew his eyes to the right side of his bed, where Biyakko guarded his nights. "It's been ten years, huh..." Ten years since he received his familiar and fourteen years since he reincarnated into this world.

It's been so long... Melancholy overtook him as thoughts of his life as Ye-Jun ran rampant under his mind's eye's sight. 'Today Athanasius turns fourteen.'

Because it was hard to think of Ye-Jun and Athan as the same person and so he referred to them as such. Ye-Jun was his past, Athan was his present and he knew not who he will be in the future.

A knock on his door drew his attention to the silver of light that filtered through the crack in the door. "Your Royal Highness?" The maids were doing a pretty good job at keeping their voices even and unshakeable, though he had always been good at discerning other people's emotions.

Heaving a sigh and throwing off his blankets, Athan spread out his mana and activated the lights on the ceiling.

"Come in."