Prologue

It was another snow day in Burgess when Jack Frost noticed a young woman, around his age, reading a novel. At the present time, he was halfway through a snowball fight but stopped as soon as he saw her solemn figure. Curiosity overcame him, so he flew over to see what book could possibly distract her from all the fun that was happening around her. He glanced over her shoulder and started reading the fragile, yellowed pages of what appeared to be a classic novel and, just as he finished reading about a gallant wedding, he noticed drops of water splashing onto the page. He knew it wasn't raining because his powers would have turned any raindrop into snow,so he leaned in close enough to see her face and noticed that the drops were actually tears.

"Crying? On a snow day? I didn't even think that was possible."

So of course, Jack couldn't resist the urge to design some beautifully crafted snowflakes and lightly dropping them onto some key words on the page. The young adult watched as the most complex snowflakes she'd ever seen drifted down onto her book, covering her teardrops and providing a perfect border around words saying "happiness", "peace" and "fun". Slightly spooked, she slammed her book shut and walked briskly away from the fun and excitement happening at the park, leaving Jack wondering (and maybe even hoping) that she was a tourist because she obviously didn't know how to have fun. He felt some relief of the fact that he may never see that strange girl again.