18 - The Day of Revelations

After finishing our grocery run, we went to Burgos Circle to get some early dinner. The steak I ordered was hot and still sizzling on the table, leaving out a faint haze of smoke beside my soda.

Rhys was comfortable in his seat, preoccupied with his phone and typing away.

When he finally put his phone down, I finally asked him, "Why did you join me, really? Yung seryoso."

It didn't leave me that he really didn't get anything necessary today. He really wasn't joking when he said he only needed a hairwax. Iniisip ko, baka he still wasn't good with his parents and he was just finding an excuse to be out again.

Okay lang naman. I do that too from time to time.

"I just wanna hang out, no particular reason. I wanted to go out for some food and didn't wanna go with anyone else," he said so casually, making a light shrug with his shoulders. "And before you remind me of my other friends, uunahan na kita. They're not the type to meet up for just food and I'm really not in the mood to drink today."

"I'm probably your only girl friend," biro ko.

"Close girl friend, yes."

I faked a shocked look. "We're close pala?"

"We're not?" Rhys said in response, his eyes even widening as a joke. "Damn. I already went to your house and I'm not even considered as a close friend? Such a red flag, California." He was clicking his tongue while shaking his head.

Ah, gano'n?

"Red? That's the color you'll be seeing if you don't stop calling me by that name," I answered with a huff.

"Woman, why are you so violent?"

I frowned.

He laughed. "Pikon."

"You know how to get on my nerves and it shows. You're exploiting it."

"Because you're cute when you're mad. You remind me of a little tomato with unicorn hair."

I gave him a stinky eye. "There you go again with your nicknames. Are you a kid or what?"

"Then stop giving me ideas," he said, grinning. "Anyway, tell me about your friend's story. You told me not to read so I won't. But you need to tell me what's up. Kahit just tell me anything that you're comfortable to share."

He sounded so persistent that I had to close my eyes and release a long sigh. It was exactly as I feared. This right here was precisely why I did everything I could to avoid this situation but this was still where my luck brought me.

I guess there was no other way around it. Better I tell him now, in a controlled situation, than let his curiosity fester even more. I started this whole fiasco, so I better look him in the eye and face this bravely.

"Fine. I'm showing this to you kasi I appreciate your gesture to respect my wish," I gruffly told him as I grabbed my phone and went to the app where Ate Via was posting her story. I gave it to Rhys, but held it back a bit once he reached out for it. "But you have to promise me you won't tease me. At least promise me we'll be mature about it."

"I promise," he said, barking a laugh. "God, just what exactly is written in here that's making you so defensive?"

"You'll find out now," I said, finally letting go of the phone.

It became quiet for a while while he went through the story chapter by chapter. I could see a hint of a smile passing over his face from time to time. Sometimes he'd furrow his brows or laugh, and kahit wala akong alam what part he was on now, I think I could get a hunch based on his facial reactions.