chapter one

The lights on the Christmas tree were twinkling red, green, yellow, and blue. A toy train quietly chugged its way around the tree skirt, around and around again. In the dim light of the living room, you carefully placed three presents under the tree, right in the front. One for Ian, one for Laurel, one for Colt. All identical and all gold.

"Ta-daaa!" Barley sang, literally leaping out of his bedroom.

"Shhh." You turned around and held your finger to your lips. "They're all still asleep!"

"Oh, right," he said. He adjusted the fluffy white fake beard he was wearing and then worked on yanking the huge red pants up his hips. "Man, I thought this costume would be smaller than it actually is."

You adjusted the gifts and then stood up, turning towards your husband. You laughed softly at him and reached up to adjust the Santa hat on his head. "Cute."

"Right?" he laughed. "Hey, did you get the presents under the tree already?"

"Yup. They're wrapped and ready."

"Awesome."

You collapsed back onto the couch and took a deep breath. Barley sat down next to you, putting his arm over your shoulders and pulling you close to him. "Are you feeling okay?"

"Great," you said, smiling up at him. "Just exhausted."

"Yeah," he agreed.

When Laurel had invited you and Barley to spend Christmas week back at home, Barley was beyond happy. All he wanted was the opportunity to be back home with his brother for the holiday, and you were excited and happy to give that to him. It had been a wonderful two days at the Lightfoot home so far, with game nights and tons of pizza from Pizza Realm, and every single night ending with you and Barley curled up together on his bed from when he was a teenager. It reminded you of the old days at the beginning of your relationship, four years ago now.

Four years. You'd been married to Barley since last September, and you two had moved from apartment to apartment until you finally settled in your forever home a couple of months ago. Everything was perfect. You'd been married over a year now, Barley's scans had been clear and his very last scan was a week from today, and you were about to spend another Christmas with your family.

"Hey, the sun's coming up," Barley said. "Let's go throw stuff at Ian until he wakes up so we can get this present thing over with. I have things to open and I want to take this beard off!"

"Okay," you laughed, "but don't rush the present opening! This is really important to me."

"I know, I know. Come on! It's Christmas!" he sang loudly, and you hushed him as he grabbed your hand and dragged you up the stairs with him. He banged on Ian's bedroom door and started singing Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree. "Wake up! It's Christmas!"

Laurel was the first one to walk out of the bedroom. She rubbed her eyes. "Barley, sweetie, I cannot believe you're up first."

"It's Christmas, Mom."

"I know it's Christmas, sweetie, but it's also six in the morning," she said.

"We have presents to open!"

"I get it," she said, laughing. She passed by and touched your shoulder. "Merry Christmas, sweetie."

"Merry Christmas, Laurel," you said. She went down the stairs and a mumbling, exhausted Colt followed her out of the bedroom.

Barley opened Ian's bedroom door and immediately bent down to pick up a basketball that was by his closet. He threw it at Ian's sleeping form, catching him right in the side. He groaned and rolled over on his back. "Barley!"