The Glitch

Joey swatted at his trousers, seeing clouds of sand fly into the air and crash back down. A vast dune stretched ahead and into the black and blotchy night sky, the small white spots of star many and yet so few. He stretched, hand above and hand below, stomach out. It was a damn good stretch. He turned to leave, but paused suddenly.   

He turned back, looking into that black and blotchy sky once again. There was something wrong, something he couldn't quite put his finger on, but it was there. He scanned the skyline and the dune below, following the wave that went along, when he stopped once again. Just above the line between the dune and the sky, there was a small patch of yellow and orange sand just sitting there. That wouldn't be so odd, if it hadn't caught his eye. beginning his climb up the dune, he saw the patch growing, or at least he felt he could see it happen, it was still off to him. 

He reached the top, seeing the path finally. He saw what was wrong. It had made a perfectly hexagonal pillar right there, the wind blowing all other sand around, this stood perfectly still nonetheless, even growing slightly. Joey took a step back, mouth agape. He fumbled for his phone, before a rumble caught him off guard, causing him to fall backwards, back down the dune. In his spinning head he could see small patches and particles of sand all pulling themselves up the dune towards the pillar, and then inexplicably building off of it.
He couldn't believe it, and he was watching it.  

The sand layered one particle after another in an outline, a mesh, creating a perfect replica of the dune below, inverted and floating. His phone fell out of his hand, being crushed under his foot by accident as he stumbled back to his feet. The mesh floated up further and further, before suddenly crashing to the ground, leaving him staring at that black and blotchy sky once again. but the sand was now different. They were coloured in random shades and hues, almost like a tv does when it runs for too long, blending the colours together in a mess.