Bitty Swapfell Papyrus x Reader

A voice calling their name woke y/n from their sleep. The rain noises still played off their phone so they hadn't been asleep for very long. They blearily cracked open their eyes and rolled over to face their room and where the voice had originated from. The faint red-orange glow from their nightstand clued them in to what had happened, another nightmare? That made three this week. They slowly sat up and turned toward the tiny skeleton on their nightstand.

Rus was rubbing his hands together nervously and was refusing to meet their eye. Being in his nightclothes, a red sweater and bitty boxers, he looked small without his puffy jacket to hide in. His double gold fangs glinted slightly in the faint moonlight as he fidgeted and the unstable magic from his usually-covered eye socket glinted.

"Heya bud, what's the matter?" Y/n asked carefully, Rus had only been with them a few weeks and he was still nervous around them. He still had trouble opening up to them about himself and when he did it was as a last resort. They had learned quickly that if they wanted to help Rus out then they would have to be gentle and try to coax it out of him otherwise he would shut down and not speak at all.

"c-can i sleep with you tonight?" he said just above a whisper. Y/n blinked in surprise, while not the first time he'd dodged a question with a simple request it was the first time he had asked to sleep with them.

"I-I mean sure bud, but I tend to move around a bit when I sleep." He looked up sharply in surprise, rubbing his right humerus in his nervous state. It was as if he had expected to be denied his request, and stumbled back a step in shock as y/n moved their hand over offering a lift to the bed. He hesitantly took up their offer stepping on quickly and hopping off as soon as he was close enough to their pillow.

They carefully laid back down beside him and he curled into a tiny ball facing away from them. They honestly didn't know what to do here, did they talk to him, try and reassure him? This was completely new territory with Rus and they didn't want to mess anything up.

"it was about before....back there" Rus's little voice startled them out of their spiraling thought and they responded quite intelligently.

"Huh?"

"my nightmare, it was from before. before you found me."

"Oh," Rus hadn't really said what had happened before they stumbled upon the bitty ring a few weeks ago. They had been going on a late-night walk on the less savory part of town for some reason when the cheers of a current fight drew their attention. Once they realized what they had stumbled upon they called the authorities and then rushed in to free as many bitties as they could before the criminals could escape. Rus had been one of the bitties fighting at the time they had arrived and, though he won, he couldn't escape on his own. So y/n did the only thing they could think to do, they grabbed the little skeleton and booked it. They ended up with a bullet lodged in their shoulder blade that night from their escape and a fairly large hospital bill from the injury but their soul was content knowing all those bitties wouldn't have to fight anymore.

They were jerked out of their memory as Rus moved on their pillow. He sat up before scooting over to their neck and curling against it. He could feel their pulse and hear them breathing in this spot and they were so warm. He felt tears running down his cheekbones but deep down he was content. This human was brave and strong and if not for them he would probably be dust right now.

They groaned suddenly and muttered to him to hang on a second. Their hand slid under him and he was shifted down to their chest as they repositioned onto their back. They shot him a sheepish smile and an apology but Rus almost didn't hear it. His new position was so much better, he could feel them breathing from the rise and fall of their chest, their heartbeat under him but most entrancing he could feel and hear the gentle hum of their soul. He could read their emotions, their fear for his recovery from his trauma, their uncertainty on how to move forward with him without doing more harm than good, and the sheer amount of love they felt towards him despite not being around him for very long. It was something he had never experienced before and something he wanted to last forever.