First one

14 yo

"He did what!?"

"I've just told you, O", Beatrice said impatiently, "He pushed him into the Great Unknown."

"Ha!", Olaf laughed, "Is this some kind of euphemism for "murder"?"

"You're a moron, you know?"

Olaf grinned and wiped his sweaty forehead. It was a hot day, and although the shade of the trees in the forest gave a relief, his blonde hair was still sticky with sweat.

"I believe we should get going?", he asked looking around.

"I think we've done our job", said Beatrice, "With a bit of luck, we'll catch this unfortunate train and reach the City."

"I still find our mission ridiculous", Olaf said, heading towards the steep slope , "Bats, really? There are so many birds in the world, but our organization will train bats."

"Bats are not birds, but mammals",the girl corrected him, "and they are extremely intelligent mammals. I think we may have use of them in the future."

"Fine," he muttered. "As long as I don't have to approach them anymore."

"Don't worry,"Beatrice laughed. "I'll be happy to do it by myself!"

"But don't you dare to neglect the theater!", Olaf frowned.

"Take it easy",  she smiled, " I won't let that happen."

Olaf seemed soothed by these words, and as they were making their way up the hill to the railway station, they decided to save their energy and walked the rest of the way in silence. When they finally arrived at the station, they were very tired and uncomfortable with their sticky clothes.

"You look terrible," said Olaf. 

Beatrice raised her eyebrows and, looking at him, said:

"You know, you don't look too fresh either ..."

"Well," he groaned, "I'm dreaming about a shower! When's that damn train coming?"

"In 10 minutes", she replied looking at her watch, " We should meet with another volunteer inside."

"With who? With this guy... What was his name? Hector?"

"No, Hector is in the clouds right now," said Beatrice, fanning herself with her notebook. "I think it'll be one of the Snickets."

"Eh, great", Olaf grimaced, " I'm looking forward to this meeting. It's not like any of the brothers is pretentious or big-headed at all ..."

The rest of his speech was drowned out by the train's loud whistle. The locomotive screeched to a stop at the first platform, and Beatrice and Olaf jumped into the penultimate car.

"Where 's this train coming from?" Olaf asked, pushing his way through the crowd of passengers.

"From a town called Stained-by- the sea," Beatrice said, wincing as one of the passengers stepped on her toes.

"Are you serious?" the boy was surprised.

"Yes, why?"

"Nothing, it's just ...", Olaf began, "I spent some time there once."

"Oh!", the girl rejoiced, "And here's the last compartment. There's a jail inside of it!"

"What?", the boy frowned, "Jail?"

"Haven't I mentioned that we we're about to release our partner out of jail?", Beatrice asked innocently.

"I think you've lost that detail," he replied sarcastically.

"Either way, you're better at unlocking locks," she said. "Wait two minutes here, I'll go and distract the guards, and in the meantime, you open the cell."

"You can't leave me alone with a criminal," Olaf called, but the girl had already disappeared from his sight.

"Great", he muttered to himself, "Just great."

Two minutes later, he heard a noise coming from the neighboring car and two guards passed him by. He looked around and saw that there was no one around. It had been a while since he'd been learning how to use a lockpick, but after a while he was pleased to see that he hadn't forgotten how to do it. The lock clicked softly and the door to the compartment opened slightly. Olaf pushed them, walked inside, stood in a theatrical pose and exclaimed in a dramatic voice:

"Your salvation has arrived!"

He froze as he saw the figure standing in front of him. It wasn't any of the Snicket brothers, it wasn't even a boy. There was a girl by the window, about his age, who now seemed to have difficulty holding back a laugh.

"You're not Snicket," Olaf said slowly. The girl looked at him in surprise.

"No?", she asked with a polite smile, "So who am I then?"

Olaf felt confused. He was watching as the girl easily got out of the handcuffs, put on a leather jacket, and tied her long brown hair in a ponytail, then looked him straight in the eye.

"Yyy," he stared at her green eyes, and for a moment he couldn't speak. The girl snorted slightly, which shook Olaf's astonishment. He was annoyed that instead of thanking him he heard laughter, so he said in a gruff tone:

"I don't know, I'm currently trying to figure it out," he took a step toward her. "So? With who do I have this dubious pleasure talking to?"

"Doubtful? Ouch!", the girl grabbed her heart, "It hurts!"

Olaf rolled his eyes as the stranger was clearly making fun of him.

"You know, I guess I'll just go out and lock you back here," Olaf said with a malicious smile and started to back away.

"Wait!", she called, and grabbed his wrist. Olaf felt as if the spark passed through his body. He was staring at her tiny hand that was holding him, then he looked at the girl's face. She was pretty. Very pretty. He quickly studied freckles on her nose, long lashes, and soft green eyes.

"You're Olaf, aren't you?" she asked.

"I see my reputation precedes me," said Olaf. The girl laughed slightly.

"My brother told me about you," she said, letting go of his wrist, "Though I think his description wasn't entirely fair."

"Your brother?" Olaf frowned. The girl nodded.

"Oh no", said Olaf, " Oh no no no no. You are ..."

"Snicket," they finished together.

"Kit Snicket", she said with a shy smile.

Olaf was staring at her intently.

" Well, hello Kit, my name's Olaf", his eyes flashed,"Nice to meet you. And surprisingly, I really mean it."