at first spike

SUMMARY

Hinata Shouyou expects his university days to be filled with excitement and volleyball.

He is not prepared for Oikawa Tooru.

(He takes it anyways.)

"Thank you so much for this, Kou," Shouyou says as he puts the last three boxes on the floor.

"No problem, Shou. You know you didn't even have to ask," says Bokuto as he ruffles his orange hair, his own couple of boxes on the ground too. "Do you need help unpacking?"

"Nah, I'll be alright. Go find Akaashi, you said he's waiting for you, isn't he?"

"Shit. You're right. There's left over in the fridge, by the way. We'll be back later, 'kay?"

"Go have fun, Koutarou," Shouyou laughs amused, a fond expression in his face as the other man says his goodbyes and gets out of the apartment.

When Bokuto found out Shouyou had been scouted for the Waseda Volleyball Team - the same team he's at - the spiker immediately told Hinata to come live with him and Akaashi. Their apartment, a graduation gift from Bokuto's loaded parents, has a second bedroom, and since the two previous occupants are dating, it's the one Shouyou has used many times during the past two years, and so he agrees to is rather easily.

Now, two days from starting his university days, Shouyou is unpacking all his stuff in his new room. His clothes have already been hanged on the closet, and his old Fukurodani uniform is folded with care, resting on the bottom drawer alongside the rest of his high school memories. It's mostly volleyball stuff, since volleyball has been his life since pretty much always, but there's also his high school certificate, so who knows.

The walls are painted a soft orange, like the sunset, with a few black touches. Shouyou chose how to paint the room two years ago, since both Bokuto and him knew who would be spending the most time there either way. The double sized bed is still bare, but Shouyou's black covers are somewhere in the boxes.

His books come first. There are a lot of textbooks he's required to have for class, mostly on human anatomy and sports, and some psychology. He is majoring in sports medicine, which pretty much guarantees him a life full of volleyball even after he stops playing.

Not that Shouyou intends to stop playing anytime soon, but Akaashi says he needs a plan for when that happens, since an athletic career lasts considerably less than most jobs. And Akaashi is always right, so there's no way Shouyou could ever ignore his advise.

Sighting, Shouyou looked at his half bare room. His parents hadn't been to keen on him moving - they're a bit overprotective sometimes - but after he told them he's moving with Bokuto, it didn't take much for them to agree. The two of them have been friends since elementary school, and they are neighbors, so it's no surprise they trust him with their son.

Shouyou has lived in Tokyo since he was four. They lived in Miyagi before that, but his mother got a promotion on her job, so they had to move. Not that Shouyou minds that much, since he can barely remember how it was to live in that traditional house in the mountain, and he got the best friend ever when they moved.

Bokuto, despite being two years older than him, took him in the second he saw him playing alone during recess. When they found out they were neighbours, it only got better. Bokuto was the one that taught him most of the basics for volleyball, and the two of them have trained to be wing spikers together since elementary school. When Hinata reached high school, it was only fitting he joined Fukurodani, where he met Akaashi, Komi, Konoha, Sarukui, Washio and Onega. The eight of them swapped around as the starting lineup for Hinata's first year, and they are some of his closest friends. He still sees most of them frequently, and he shared classes with Onega for three years, but it's mostly Bokuto and Akaashi he sees nowadays.