One

Today's quite a busy day despite it being a Sunday. Customers have been going in and out of our café for their caffeine fix all morning which is badly needed because the temperature dropped massive last night and the town's been blanketed with white all over.

"Hi! How can I help you?" I asked as a person walked in, noticing that he wasn't a regular here.

"Hi, uhm... I'll have hot chocolate." he said, looking around the shop.
"Okay, anything else?" I followed as I punched in his order.

I looked at him longer this time because he was still looking around. I noticed his slightly darker complexion on his exposed wrist though his face was pale, probably because of the cold weather.

Don't judge me. I couldn't care less about someone's race or color, I am just curious of him since he looks new here and probably is.
Look, he probably just moved in from another city.

He still haven't answered my question so I decided to ask him again.
"Uhm, anything else sir?" at the same time, Linda, my workmate, placed this guy's order in the counter.
"That'd be all, thanks." he said, looking at me for the first time since he came in.
"That would be 3.50"
He handed me a five dollar bill, mumbled thanks, and headed for a seat in the far corner.

"5 dollar says he's gay." Linda whispered.
"Shut up. What does that matter."
"Oh c'mon, Connor. Look at that scarf!" she pointed out in a loud whisper.

I did and the scarf's a little... cute? Look it's blood red with muted-brown, knotted fringes, plus yellow and pink details. He also has this worn-out Levis jeans that looks good on him.

"Still doesn't matter." I started wiping the counter again, as I usually do when there's nothing else to do. The customers seemed to have stopped coming in now. Linda, who went back to her part of the "work station" was outright staring at the new guy.

"You have to be open to chances, darling. Holidays are coming and it's better spent with someone."

"Yeah, I have you for that, right? Besides, I've been spending my holidays alone since the incident happened. It's just pointless to celebrate something that reminds me of that... " I know she knows what I mean. I always thought I've moved on from that part of my life because it feels like it happened ages ago.

"Oh no... not that one again." her faced turned soft and she walked toward me and gave me a tight hug. "Besides, I'm driving up the mountains to celebrate Christmas with Jean and her family." she has an older sister, Jean, who's married and has two adorable kids. "I'm booked, you see."

"Then I'd spend it alone. It doesn't matter."

"Yes, yes it does!" she wasn't hugging me now, she was holding both of my arms and gripping it on occasion; "It matters to me that you have a great time with someone, although most preferably not a friend, like an s/o, this year."

"That's sweet but I've had no luck with that s/o thing. So-"

"Look, he's leaving!" She pointed her lips to where the guy was once sitting and is now getting up. "Make a move, C!"

"Stop! He probably hears you! It's embarrassing."

We were both looking at him heading out of the café, which probably would make him feel awkward, when he took a turn and walked towards where we were.

Oh boy.

Linda looked me in the eyes and popped both her brows up and down eagerly. This girl.

"Hi, sorry to bother you--" he started but Linda cut him off.
"Oh, no, you're not bothering anything here." she said, gesturing both me and her.