Person 1

Guests came and greeted my parents by placing their palms together and saying 'namaste'.

They all wore smiles that might not even be real. I stood up to show respect towards my aunts and uncles and sat back down when they noticed me, which wasn't immediate.

I sat down just the way my parents wanted me to. Just like a 'civilized woman'. Even though I was just a teenager.

I glanced towards my mother and she stared at me. I know that stare. I got up to help mom serve the tea. Serving tea is  an Indian way to greet guests respectfully.

I went to the kitchen while mom gave me a silver tray and started placing the white teacups with a thin lining of golden paint, filled with tea. While I managed to balance the tray and serve it to the guests. I glanced towards my mom beside me who stretched her index and thumb to her mouth. A clear indication that I should smile. I ignored her.

It is known that the person who smiles the most is the loneliest and the person who laughs like everything is fine is clearly not fine.

And yet people tell you to smile? Because you look prettier that way?

Smile like everything is fine? Pretend that nothing is bothering you?

I served the remaining guests. After I was done, I placed the tray on the kitchen table. When I came back, one of them said;

"Smile betta, you look prettier that way" everyone chuckled in agreement. She is my aunt and I was taught not to disrespect elders and so I did.

'so how are you?' an uncle asked while I kept smiling.

Fine? I don't know. You tell me. Am i? Since you all decided that I looked prettier when I smile.

"fine" I managed to say

"so how is your marks?" another uncle asked.

Of course, After I say I'm fine just like they wanted this is the next subject they want to know. After this subject I'm supposed to sit and watch the moms talk about how generations changed and the dads talk about business and politics. Just like every other time.

I glanced at another teenager beside some aunties. I saw her smile. I know that smile all too well. She looked numb and yet she smiled. Like expected. She caught me staring and smiled even wider to me. I did see her smile but what was all too familiar was her eyes....lacking emotion. I can see the void in her eyes.

I smiled and looked away. She must be as tired as I am.

So it's not just me.

It's just not fair.