meet me in the hallway

just let me know, i'll be out the door, out the door.

"no, please. wait!"

the door slammed, but the breaking of his heart was louder. he sank to the floor, tears rolling down his cheeks. 

"are you okay?"

he didn't even bother to look at the person who spoke. he was too caught up in his grief to notice what he did next.

"um... hello?"

he dragged himself up to his room and started throwing open drawers until he found what he was looking for. the packet. full of... snow. white, powdery snow.

"sir?"

his head shot up. "sorry, what?"

"oh, we asked if rehab was helping."

he looked around slowly at the men and women who sat in the circle with him, smiling sympathetically at his swollen eyes and cold hands. 

"yes. it is."

"good. we're glad. have you-"

"excuse me." he excused himself and left. they called after him, but he ignored their voices and stepped out into the street.

he wandered down alleys and dark bridges. it was 7 o'clock on december 24th. 

december 24th.

his eyes wandered to the cafe on the side of the street where they had their first date. their cold, gloved hands wrapped around mugs of coffee, smiling and laughing about some stupid thing.

his heart ached for his ex-lover, but his mind knew he needed to move on. so, he kept walking.

"if you really loved me, none of this would've happened. you wouldn't have done this."

he placed his hands on the railing of the old bridge before pulling his phone out of the back pocket of his jeans. he pulled his gloves off and laid them on the railing. scrolling through his contacts, he came across the one person who he knew wanted nothing to do with him.

"hey. it's harry. happy birthday. i know you would rather not hear from me, but i wanted to wish you. i miss you a ton. just walked past the cafe. yes, the cafe."

"is there anything I could do? to fix this? just let me know, and i'll be at the door, hoping you'll come around. maybe we'll work it out. i've been trying to get better. for you."

"remember the day i told you to meet me in the hallway? well, you left me in the hallway. i don't blame you, though."

"i'm still here. in the hallway. i'll always be."

"i'll always wait for you. in the hallway. i hope you'll come around."

he hung up and placed the phone back in his pocket, looking over the horizon at the setting sun.

his phone buzzed and he picked it up with such speed, that he almost dropped it.

"we won't talk about it. that's something we won't do. because once you go without it, nothing else will do."

a simple text that would shatter a heart. and that's exactly what it did. the effort was minimal, but the effects were lasting. 

the phone slipped from his hands and into the frozen water below him. he turned away and ran, forgetting about the gloves laying on the snow-covered railing.

he ran. he ran for a long time. too long.

his legs slowed to a stop in front of a small house, decorated with christmas lights. through the window, the light illuminated a family. three girls, a father, and a boy. the boy looked about the age of 25, and the girls were younger than him. there was a picture of a smiling woman on the wall, next to a picture of a girl resembling her. the boy turned to the christmas tree in the living room and took down an ornament.

it was a white rectangle with black writing. he placed it on the mantle and left to take the girls to the kitchen, out of view of anyone outside.

harry, outside of the house, recognized the ornament immediately. and the writing on it. he turned away, walking towards his own home. 

as he walked, he remembered a picture of him and the boy from the house. it was last christmas, and they were standing in front of the house, holding matching ornaments. the black words were simple, yet they shined in the dim light of the streetlamps.

'always in my heart', it said.

his smile faded as his shaking hands went into his pockets and he kept walking through the street.

as he left the hallway.

A/N:

hey!! hope you guys liked this one. i'm going in order, so sott is next!!

:)