Chapter Zero: Then

I approached the apartment building where the party was being hosted. I was excited because I was about to see my best friend Evelyn for the first time in months.

I immediately recognized her petite figure standing in front of the building waiting for me. As I got closer it became clear that she had dyed her naturally brown hair to a darker shade.

"Hey!" I shouted out to her. Perhaps a little too excitedly.

"Hey." She turned and smiled at me softly as I got closer.

"It's good to see you again," I said reaching my arms out for a hug. The hug was definitely welcomed. It seemed as if neither of us wanted to let go.

"It's good to see you too." She said as the hug ended. As we dropped our hands to our sides, I noticed she had a cigarette in her right hand.

"Is that what I think it is?" She tried to hide the cigarette but I had clearly already seen it.

"Yeah, it is. I wasn't going to smoke it. I was just holding it." She said embarrassedly. Putting the cigarette back in her purse.

Evelyn wasn't the type of person to smoke. In fact the last I checked she was against cigarettes. It was obvious that going to school in Vancouver had changed her. First the dyed hair and now this. Something about it just didn't sit right with me.

"Should we go in?" I gestured to the door.

"Definitely." She said making her way towards the door. I beat her to the door and held it open for her.

"Thanks." She smiled at me briefly.

We made our way over to and into the elevator in complete silence.

"So..." the words that came out of my mouth broke what had to be the longest silence we had ever had between us.
"So." She replied.

"Are you excited to see everyone again?"  I asked.
She fixed her hair from falling in her face and looked over at me. As usual, she looked beautiful.

"I guess so. I only really came back to see you."
I wanted to believe her, but this was the first time we had talked in three months.

"Well, I'm sure everyone will be happy to see you." I smiled trying to encourage her.
"Yeah." She replied blandly. It was clear to me that something was on her mind. Usually, when we were together the talking didn't stop.

"Is everything okay?"
There was no response, so I nudged her and repeated myself.
"Is everything..." Before I could finish my sentence she cut me off.
"Yeah, I'm fine. I just need a drink."

As if on cue the elevator door opened and the muffled sound of music and people talking could be heard from down the hall.

Evelyn left the elevator in a hurry and I followed closely behind. "So should I take that as a no then?" She stopped walking and turned to look at me. For a brief moment I could've sworn she seemed as if she was going to cry.

"Honestly I'm fine. Please stop asking me that. I came here to have fun. Not to worry about my problems." She seemed irritated as if I had asked her the same question over and over again.

Before I could respond she started talking again.
"I'm sorry." She started to frown. "I just don't really want to talk about things right now. So let's just go have some fun." Her expression quickly changed to the infectious smile that I had fallen in love with.

I had been in love with her for the last four years. Which made her leaving for school all the more difficult.
"Okay." I smiled back at her and we continued towards the party in complete silence.

I had never told her how I felt. I had considered telling her on multiple occasions but the time just never seemed right. The way things had been going so far. Tonight didn't seem like the perfect time either.