Chapter 1:

My Dearest,

This month of November marks four years since our first meeting; when we were in the most beautiful part of our youth, rich with vigor and away from the worldliness of this age. I remember the time I first saw your bright eyes, whenever I see the falling leaves of autumn embraced trees. I wish I remember every single moment of that day for the rest of my life, well except the part where I had carelessly fallen and sprained my ankle when I had lost myself in the maze of your eyes. I trust that that was the moment when I was the most embarrassed in my life. But being away from you now, even that memory seems like a sweet treasure dear to my heart.

I hope you miss me as much as I do. Though it will fill my heart with joy, I do not want you to miss me too much, since that would only make you impatient in this time of war and act rashly. I wish that fate had not taken you that far away from me on a distant land that is engulfed in chaos and whose future is obscure. Hearing the war stories of dying soldiers breaks my heart. I had never feared of fate before and if it is as cruel to lovers as they say, I wish that the one it kills, is me. For I cannot think of a life where I cannot see your bright eyes and your forever charming smile that you always present for me. So be alive for me.

I hope my letter hasn't made your morale weak but even stronger. Come back soon my love. I hope the charms and prayers of our god bless us.

Yours loving,

Arundati

I reread the letter for a thousandth time before finally sealing it in the envelope. I kept the letter in the drawer of my carved cherry wood table. It had been two days since the last letter I had received from him. I wanted to tell him of the engagement that my parents have arranged in this letter but that would only add to his worries since it isn't even final yet. I will surely tell him about the marriage proposal in the next letter.

"Aruna come down. Have you seen the time? You will be late if you don't leave now." My mother, the English professor at University of Calcutta, was a punctual lady and rather quite serious about the management of time. I checked the time, half past 9 and I had to be there by 10, she was right; I would be late today. I hurriedly ran down the stairs out the house and towards the university campus. It was hardly any far from our residence; five hundred meters or a block away at the most.

I had not noticed when the classes began nor when they had come to their completion. "What are you waiting for? Let's go." My best friend, Asha, called out to me.
"Where is your mind today? Have you been reminiscing about the British babu again?" she smirked and inquired.

I smiled and turned away. Is it very obvious? Am I being too clingy?

"Why do you think so? Why will I think of him?" I joked.

"Oh really? If that is so, shall I introduce you to my cousin, the one who works in the government? He was swooned by you at the last college function when he came to pick me." She asked, knowing my answer.

"The one who kept being awkward with his jokes? No thanks. My Xavier is much handsome." I spoke without thinking.

"My Xavier huh?" she spoke out loud and I covered her mouth to stop her from uttering anything more while my own face became red with embarrassment.

After our usual goodbyes, we parted ways. Walk back home was very peaceful yet filled with memories of the beautiful past.

Four years ago, on such fine day like today, I was returning home when I first met Xavier. He was with his fellowmen in his khaki uniform that made their presence known to anyone present on the street. But what made him stand out were his sea blue eyes smiling fondly at a street vendor's child selling tea. He was smilingly so brightly that I could not have believed any British man could smile to an Indian. Sensing my gaze, he looked back at me. I couldn't pull my eyes off his smiling ones and felt myself losing in his blue orcs. Never did I know of anyone with such tantalizing eyes. I kept looking at him and that's when I had lost my footing on the ground and fell.

"ouch" I exclaimed with pain and held my ankle for a better inspection. And the next thing I know is that a pale hand is pressing upon my ankle. I look up and find that beautiful man from across the street in front of me. "It seems like a sprain. Miss, Can I escort you to your house?" he asked but all I could see were his eyes and lips moving like a synchronized movement.

"Miss, May I?"

"Hmm yes please" I uttered involuntarily. He smirked at my tone and helped me get up.

"It seems quite strange that a lady falls down so suddenly in the middle of the road, isn't it? Seems like there was too much on your mind" he sneakily spoke.

"Not too much. Just one" I spoke my thoughts out loud.

At that instant, it had seemed like most of the blood of my body came up to my face. It was extremely embarrassing that not only had I been caught outright staring at a man, but also sprained my ankle while he was looking. He laughed out loud at my red face. Looking at him smiling at me, I remember wishing that this walk never finished but I could see my house amongst others on the street now.

We reached my house and he dropped me by the porch.

"It seems we have reached our destination. I am Xavier Xenolus Brown, the deputy of the barricade located outside the Victoria Memorial. I hope this beautiful lady would bestow upon me the honor of knowing her name." he bowed.

So his name was Xavier, a handsome name for a handsome man.

"I am Arundati Roy. I am a literature student in university of Calcutta" I introduced myself.

"I am pleased to meet you, my lady but, it seems that our conversation has to be cut short. We have to catch our shift back at the memorial. It was nice meeting you Miss, you have an interesting personality and I sincerely hope we would meet again. Can I ask you for something if you don't mind?" he said.

"Yes surely. Please ask" I exclaimed a bit too excited.

"I hope that miss doesn't look so keenly at any other man as she looked at me today." with this he turned and left, leaving me shocked and blushing.